RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GarethC

Microserver Gen10 Build

GarethC

After a full day of running on it the temps on the NVMes are higher than I would like (around 60-66c) but it has been a bit humid today. 

Trig0r

Yeah, given what I spent on my Gen 8, dont fancy having to do that again..

I ended up building an i7 system based in a Node 804 case, however, its huge compared to a Microserver, I am just a CPU away from building a Node304 iTX replacement, just waiting for a 3400g or whatever the 4000 series brings...

GarethC

After running the server 24x7 for nearly a week the NVMes are running in the low 60c range, whilst this is still deemed ‘High’ by the Samsung software its pretty typical of these drives from what I’ve seen of them running in other systems.

Trig0r

How are your temps on theSamsung?

I've just built my server from a Node 804 to a 304 case, my board (iTX x570 Aorus Pro Wifi) has a slot on the back side of the board, and when I'm using the VM's a lot its hitting 71oC...

Think I might get one of those dual slot cards and move the Samsung drive before it sets fire to the house..

GarethC

They are both around 60c, but its relatively cold here at the moment, I see anything between high 50’s to high 60’s. It may become a problem in the peak of the summer, the controller chip on the card you can’t touch its that hot, it really should have a fan. 

Trig0r

I think I'm gonna stick mine on some sort of adapter card, its just too hot..

I could stick some heat pads on it and use the bottom of the case as a heatsink but if that doesn't work then I'll have to take it out and move it anyway, and as its an iTX build taking the board out and messing around is a PITA so I'd rather just do it once and know its going to work..

GarethC

I've managed to add some cooling and I quite frankly can't believe the difference its made, from high 60s to high 40s low 50s. I'll post some pics of what i've done tomorrow when I have more time, but I'm so glad I went down this route and it will very much be needed in the summer months. 

• Like 1

GarethC

1.thumb.JPG.d361ea84128f47bb539be366d8961317.JPG

Ok so here it is, I purchased a 30mmx30xmmx7mm fan, USB to 3-pin fan cable and the USB fan speed boost/control. I adapted the fan and the USB cable to directly connect them and shorten them to just the right length. 

2.thumb.JPG.824dd156d34a29f37a1138189aef533d.JPG

You have to be careful with routing the cable (its best to tuck it under the daughter board frame) otherwise it can get hung up when inserting the motherboard back into the case.

3.thumb.JPG.3bd5b7288ff4218c3bdb7bbff12c3415.JPG

Fortunately when it came to mounting the fan, I had a leftover anti-vibration double-sided sticky foam pad from a water pump for water-cooling which I never bothered using, so I cut this down and used it to stick it to the motherboard and it also nicely raised the fan to the height I wanted it at and it also prevents the SATA connector from blocking the airflow, win, win!  I then added a couple of cable ties through the end of the NVMe card and fan to keep the fan upright. 

To be honest I wasn't expecting much from just a 30mm fan, but I'm quite frankly amazed that its pretty much managed to shave 20c off the temps and take the NVMes from 'very high' to 'normal' i.e. 67c to 47c.  The temperatures will no doubt raise in the summer but they are much more under control now and the performance difference is definitely evident (much to my amazement). 

I have ordered a 30mmx30mmx10mm fan to see if I can manage to fit that instead and further increase the airflow now that I have proved this solution is making a significant benefit. I have also ordered a slightly different speed controller as whilst this one does 'fit' it comes into contact with the side of the case and makes fitting and removing the case too difficult for my liking. 

Edited by GarethC