RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
GarethC

Microserver Gen10 Build

Jason
Yes I have, but oddly the server only seems to register the 2 SSDs in HP Storage Administrator for some reason, even though my 2 x 6TB HDDs are usable in the OS. Bitlocker therefore also only seems to be able to be configured on the SSDs also. 

Ugh. That’s not what I was hoping. May wait to install bitlocker then, for time being. Appreciate the insight.

GarethC

I've ordered a meter plug to measure the maximum wattage the server currently hits, depending on how that goes i'll look to order the Lycom DT-130. 

Jason

Just installed TPM module today. First time I rebooted the server in ages. Had already ordered the TPM so put in until I can determine best way to configure. Did you have any luck since?

GarethC

No, i’m assuming its down to some BIOS setting but haven’t had time to investigate as i’ve been busy with SCCM.

GarethC

Ok, I've just completed some testing and for the benefit of others will share my findings:

E2246G

64GB RAM

2 x Samsung SATA SSDs (500GB & 1TB)

2 x WD 6TB SATA HDDs

HP TPM

iLO Enablement

HP NC365T (Quad-Port NIC)

Whilst running 14 VMs, running the install of another VM, Robocopy to a NAS and viewing the video feed from 4 HD cameras hosted on one of the VMs the highest I have seen the server hit is 122.5w

Under my 'normal' circumstances of 7 VMs running, the highest its hitting is 79.7w, but is generally hovering around the 70w mark.  With this in mind I'm going to go ahead and order the Lycom DT-130 to install two additional NVMes (in lieu of the NC365T).

Edited by GarethC
  • Like 2

GarethC

Lycom DT-130 has arrived, wish me luck. 

• Like 2

Jason
Lycom DT-130 has arrived, wish me luck. 

Good luck. Anxious to hear whether both NVMe drives are recognized in that card and able to boot from one of them. Fingers crossed.

GarethC

All good, works perfectly (boots off the 250GB drive into Server 2019 fine, 1TB drive present also). 

48583896_IMG_9365(Medium).thumb.JPG.546948952f6a5e8ea0950912aca05013.JPG

1764305231_IMG_9368(Medium).thumb.JPG.9b5e150467dd1adc6022880e0f2d6044.JPG

It does run hot though but I think it will be ok, Samsung drives at the moment are reporting between 50c-60c but I am still in the middle of re-building the server and moving the VMs back over to it. Once I'm up and running properly i'll check the power draw again. 

Jason

That's awesome news!  Do you have to put the boot drive in a specific slot 0 or slot 1?  I think I'll pick up one of these cards... believe they are sold under different brands.

GarethC

No, it will boot from either slot. When I put the drives in one of them actually had my wife's Windows 10 build on it and it booted straight up into that. I've since changed position of the cards as I want the 250GB in port 0, boots fine. 

Edited by GarethC
  • Like 1