RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Client Restore Service WinPE/Full Client Restore wizard crashes on new laptop

DonTen

I have Windows Server 2016 Essentials (an in place upgrade from 2012R2 - I know but that is what it is).

I have two modern clients: Dell XPS 13 7390, which fail to load the WinPE / Full Client Restore wizard both from the network and from a USB key. They blue screen with a KMODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED error. Older clients load the Full Client Restore wizard successfully both from the key and the network.

I have tried installing the latest Windows 10 ADK (2004) and re running the Client Restore Service set up from the Dashboard. Although this creates new folders in the ClientRestore folder within Program Data it does not update the version of WinPE reported in the boot images in Windows Deployment Services which is 6.3.9600 (Windows 8.1). This seems as if it may be a hangover from the 2012R2 installation. 

There was no WinPE or ADK application to uninstall before I installed the latest ADK, so installed it and hoped for the best.

Has anyone any suggestions as to how I can get the Client Restore service to use a later version of WinPE without breaking the Essentials set up?