RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Super Router

geek-accountant

cskenney

I don't know, but my D-Link Router has not problems.

https://xxxxxxx.homeserver.com/remote

or I can use my public ip address https://98.###.###.###/remote

or I can use my internal name https://whs2011/remote

or I can use my internal ip address https://192.168.0.190/remote

In all cases I get the same WHS2011 remote access logon page.

If I use the ip address to try and get to the server then Firefox tells me the security certificate does not match but I just bypass it.

So, maybe I have my system set up different but I can access the same exact web page using any of the above methods from my desktop computer sitting on the same LAN.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post is a reply to pcdoc in another thread (didn't want to hyjack that thread with this unrelated topic).     pcdoc, one of the things I love about having my router (pfSense) and UTM (Untangle

agreed unless you need to dink with routing a lot it's pretty much a fire and forget solution. But if you have the need for heavy interaction of packet shaping/QoS/Porting etc.... PFSense is a lot eas

I don't recommend using PFSense in Hyper-V as it just has too many issues.   For the PFSense issue Open shell from the console create new document vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/startup.sh and type

geek-accountant

For me, the first two don't work, the second two do. I use to run my web page from an internal server a few years ago, before I started using pfSense. Back then the only way I could access the web site from inside the network was to edit the HOST file.

cskenney, I am assuming you didn't edit your HOST file.

jmwills

My guess the issue is the Host file. By editing the Host file, you could put an entry in there to make the connection between the internal IP address and the associated Host name. On the internal LAN, the DNS resolution sometimes cannot resolve names, the Host file can assist in this among other tasks.

A good explanation at this site.

geek-accountant

Well, it sounds likes maxstacks one change was the introduction of pfSense so that seems like it must be related to the issue.

maxstacks, are you using the same DNS servers in your pfSense box as you where with your other router? cskenney, does you PC use it's own DNS servers or does it get them from the router?

jmwills

Just for the heck of it, flush the DNS cache on the client machine you are using. I've seen this issue but resolved it to the fact that I am running inside a domain at home (whenever I'm there) and DNS is coming from that server, not the ISP.

jmwills

Just for shins and grins, I went into the test machine I have that connects to the Test WHS 2011 server that is in another VLAN from the clients and look what I found: (last line)

# Copyright © 1993-2009 Microsoft Corp.

#

# This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.

#

# This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each

# entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should

# be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.

# The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one

# space.

#

# Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual

# lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.

#

# For example:

#

# 102.54.94.97 rhino.acme.com # source server

# 38.25.63.10 x.acme.com # x client host

# localhost name resolution is handled within DNS itself.

# 127.0.0.1 localhost

# ::1 localhost

10.52.27.2 MAX Windows home server vail

The WHS 2011 connection made an entry into the Host File so it could fine the server. This may have come from the DNS server inside our commercial network but the client was sitting in a scope that was 10.52.6.x

A perfect example of what a Host File can do internally. I did not make this entry so now I am curious as to how it got there. Oh great, another project. (For reference any entry with "#" at the beginning is considered by the OS to be a remark and is ignored. So the first line acted upon is the entry containing the 10.52.x.x entry and no I'm not giving away any external IP address as this is still internal to us.

cskenney

I went and looked at the HOSTS file on my desktop computer. It has no entries in it (all are commented out).

Also, DNS for the desktop PC comes from my router. My router uses DNS from my ISP. I even tried the DNS cache flush and all continues to work.