RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Super Router

geek-accountant

maxstacks

Thanks guys.

- I have moved PFsense access from port 80 to another and I can access PFsense with 192.168.1.1:portnumber

- I still cannot access the WHS remote login page via the domain name. I can't imagine I am the only one trying to do this with pfsense and WHS

- I assume geek accountant can do this so perhaps he can share his settings that allow him to access WHS login page via domain name. With my old router it worked first time.

What i am missing?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post is a reply to pcdoc in another thread (didn't want to hyjack that thread with this unrelated topic).     pcdoc, one of the things I love about having my router (pfSense) and UTM (Untangle

agreed unless you need to dink with routing a lot it's pretty much a fire and forget solution. But if you have the need for heavy interaction of packet shaping/QoS/Porting etc.... PFSense is a lot eas

I don't recommend using PFSense in Hyper-V as it just has too many issues.   For the PFSense issue Open shell from the console create new document vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/startup.sh and type

cskenney

You shouldn't need the port number when inside your network to access your router (unless there is something different about pfsense.

I can put in my external (public) IP number in my browser and it will bring up my remote access page for my server. Right now it brings up the remote access for WHS2011 since I have remote access enabled on that box and not my v1 system.

For both maxstacks and geekaccountant, if I enter your public IP address in my browser it gives me your remote access pages for your servers. maxstacks is the WHSv1 page and Geekaccountant is running WHS2011 right now.

FYI - I believe I can see your IP addresses because of my admin privileges and I assure you I am not trying to access your servers...

geek-accountant

OK, one thing I haven't talked about yet (coming in Part 2 of my Super Router article) is I moved the pfSense webgui from 80 to 8080. So, in my case, I have to go to 192.168.1.1:8080 to get to the router. The setting is in the System:General Setup section. I did not enable HTTPS. There was a reason, but I don't why remember now.

Still, I never access my WHS web page from inside the network. Am I the only one that doesn't access it from inside the network? Am I missing out on something? OK, I just tried again by just entering my WHS2011 IP address (no port number after the address) and it pulled up the login screen. I was then able to login without a problem.

cskenney, I am running both WHS2011 and WHSv1 right now. WHS2011 is purely for testing and it does have the remote access turned on. WHSv1 is what I use for PC backups. Actual file storage is handled by my unRAID server.

I should say, I entered the local IP (ie 192.168.1.xxx) of my WHS2011 server and not the public IP. If I enter the public IP from within the network, I don't get the WHS2011 page.

geek-accountant

One more thought. Don't you have to change the HOST file to point a web address to a local IP otherwise it will not work? no-control is the resident network expert so maybe he can weight in if he reads this.

One thing that confuses me is you say you could access the WHS through the web name with your old router.

maxstacks

One more thought. Don't you have to change the HOST file to point a web address to a local IP otherwise it will not work? no-control is the resident network expert so maybe he can weight in if he reads this.

One thing that confuses me is you say you could access the WHS through the web name with your old router.

This is all getting complicated and I'm thinking it's beyond me. Maybe it's back to my netgear router.

> One thing that confuses me is you say you could access the WHS through the web name with your old router.

No sure why that would confuse you? You simply click on the domain name and up comes WHS login. That's the way it's always worked since WHS came out. You do have a domain name setup don't you?

- Yes I can access WHS login by 192.168.1.sever-ip address.

- No I can't access WHS login by the domain name (something.homeserver.com) <--------THIS IS ALL I WANT TO DO. Nothing more

maxstacks

Ok. Just drove over to brothers house to check from there

- Happily everything works externally. WHS login by ip or domain name ok

- So what is stopping internal access? Any thoughts appreciated

Edited by maxstacks
geek-accountant

This is all getting complicated and I'm thinking it's beyond me. Maybe it's back to my netgear router.

> One thing that confuses me is you say you could access the WHS through the web name with your old router.

No sure why that would confuse you? You simply click on the domain name and up comes WHS login. That's the way it's always worked since WHS came out. You do have a domain name setup don't you?

- Yes I can access WHS login by 192.168.1.sever-ip address.

- No I can't access WHS login by the domain name (something.homeserver.com) <--------THIS IS ALL I WANT TO DO. Nothing more

What confuses me, is I have never been able to get to a internal web server using it's web address and not changing the HOST file. Changing the HOST file is simple, but without doing it, I don't know how it would work and why the router would make any difference. The fact you could do it before is something I can't explain, but maybe someone with more network experience can help.

If the IP address works, why not use that instead of the web name? Can you give me more details on why the IP address is not a workable solution?

I do have a domain setup but I only use it from outside the network. Inside the network, I either use the Console or just remote desktop into the server.

Ok. Just drove over to brothers house to check from there

- Happily everything works externally. WHS login by ip or domain name ok

- So what is stopping internal access? Any thoughts appreciated

My experience is that routers have a hard time routing internal traffic to their external IP and back through any forwarding rules. I have the same issue on my network - the external DNS names do not work inside my network. While they can be resolved to an IP address, there is no route out and back into the network.

geek-accountant

My experience is that routers have a hard time routing internal traffic to their external IP and back through any forwarding rules. I have the same issue on my network - the external DNS names do not work inside my network. While they can be resolved to an IP address, there is no route out and back into the network.

That has been my experience also. The way around it is to edit the HOST file (which is as easy as opening it in Note Pad and adding the IP address and web address). That way when you enter the web address into a browser, it will use the local IP address rather than trying to go outside the network.

maxstacks

What confuses me, is I have never been able to get to a internal web server using it's web address and not changing the HOST file. Changing the HOST file is simple, but without doing it, I don't know how it would work and why the router would make any difference. The fact you could do it before is something I can't explain, but maybe someone with more network experience can help.

If the IP address works, why not use that instead of the web name? Can you give me more details on why the IP address is not a workable solution?

I do have a domain setup but I only use it from outside the network. Inside the network, I either use the Console or just remote desktop into the server.

Because I publish quite a few websites from my WHS and have them all on my WHS domain name. I can't suddenly switch to ip and name of website

Edited by maxstacks