RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Super Router

geek-accountant

Which version of Untangle are you using? Also in terms of the average install, have you tried just using one solution? Your setup obviously works great and does a great job, but does it do more that a single package? As it stans Untangle has 5 times the security of a store bought router with built in packet inspection and more options of handlling traffic.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post is a reply to pcdoc in another thread (didn't want to hyjack that thread with this unrelated topic).     pcdoc, one of the things I love about having my router (pfSense) and UTM (Untangle

agreed unless you need to dink with routing a lot it's pretty much a fire and forget solution. But if you have the need for heavy interaction of packet shaping/QoS/Porting etc.... PFSense is a lot eas

I don't recommend using PFSense in Hyper-V as it just has too many issues.   For the PFSense issue Open shell from the console create new document vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/startup.sh and type

ImTheTypeOfGuy

I hate these kind of posts....they just get me thinking about something else that I can do, should do or want to do.

I guess I am a little fuzzy on your setup Geek-accountant. You have:

Internet <-> cable company modem <-> pfSense Router <-> Untangle <-> home network

Is that correct? Does all traffic come through pfSense and then Untangle to get to your home computers? How is everything routed through Untangle? or am I missing something. This is all new stuff to me so I am just trying to figure out how it works.

And I only have a 6 year old girl that uses the internet right now but she is too smart for her own good. I need to be thinking one step ahead of her at all times....

I agree completely. Luckily, I feel this is overkill so it isn't high on my list. HOwever, the nerd in me wants to get started now.

geek-accountant

Which version of Untangle are you using? Also in terms of the average install, have you tried just using one solution? Your setup obviously works great and does a great job, but does it do more that a single package? As it stans Untangle has 5 times the security of a store bought router with built in packet inspection and more options of handlling traffic.

I am running version 8, which I guess was automaticlly updated. You kept mentioning a new version (Version 8) and I was wondering what you where talking about. Then I checked an noticed that I am no longer on version 7, but am now running version 8. Can't say I notice any difference. Version 8 comes with Bandwidth Control, but that is a fee addon. The only addon I am paying for is the additional antivirus.

As for using one solution, yes I ran pfSense alone for about a year. It works great and is an incredible firewall. I also tried Smoothwall, but I prefer pfSense. I have never tried Untangle as an alone in one standalone solution. But heck since these are on my virtual server, I can just create another version and run it for a while. Untangle just doesn't have the nice reporting of pfSense or all the options, like UPNP which Untangle doesn't have.

My problem with pfSense and why I even introduced Untangle was web filtering. pfSense has a web filter (Squidguard), but it was giving me problems, plus Snort (NDIS & NDPS) was giving me some issues also. I sure I could have worked with these and made them better, but I was reading a lot of good things about using pfSense AND Untangle to create a Super Router, so I gave it a shot and have been very pleased.

I agree with you about either Untangle or pfSense kicking the a$$ of anything you can buy at Best Buy. Heck, they will kick the a$$ of a lot of Cisco routers. Using a PC to power this software gives it a LOT more juice than most routers even if you use some old equipment. In my case, I am using a dual core AMD Athlon with 4gig of ram. I gave both cores to both VM's (pfSense & Untangle), gave 1gig of ram to pfSense and 1.5gig to Untangle. It is probably overkill, but I never have issues with online games (that is related to the router) regardless of what is going on with other computers on the network. AS a test, I once had iTunes download a bunch of podcast which maxed out my connection, before I upgraded to 60meg, then started a Call of Duty game on he Xbox and then had my wife make a phone call on our VOIP phone. Game was smooth with no issues, VOIP call was perfect with no issues.

Before this setup, I was using a dual wan Netgear router (version prior to this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833122380) which was a good router, but I could bring it to it's knees with the above test all the time. IMO, this is a decent mid-level consumer router, but still it only has a 300mHz processor and 64meg of ram.

Give this thread a read (http://forum.pfsense.org/index.php/topic,7668.45.html), guy claims to be running Fox News behind a pfSense router. It's an old post, but still an interesting read.

• 2 weeks later...
geek-accountant

For Untangle or pfSense? The processor and ram look fine for pfSense and should be OK for Untangle, which has a little higher minimum requirements. I would be more concerned with the 1 ethernet port. Although I have never tried it, pfSense is said to support "some" USB ethernet adapters, not sure about Untangle.

What I would recommend is before fighting the install and setup of either pfSense or Untangle in a box like this, do an install on an old PC with two or more nic's just to get a feel for the install process and setup. Then move on to something more challenging like this box. Of course that would be my advice for a more average user, many of the people on here are well past that level.

• 1 month later...
maxstacks

Following the BYOB podcast about PFsense I have setup a PFsense router. I can see where it will be much more flexible than my old Netgear router. It works quite well. On WHS verson 1 I turned on remote access and everything configured correctly. Problem is I only get a 404 page not found when I click on my homeserver.com domain link.

- Yes I can access remote login via 192.168.1.??? but not via the assigned domain name

- Yes I have released the domain name and re configured - same result

- Yes I have enabled UPnP and WHS assigned the correct ports into PFsense

This is a WHS version 1 system.

For clarity the domain name I am talking about is given to each WHS user who runs a WHS (under WHS setting| remote access)

Any advice most welcome. I'm stuck.

cskenney

Following the BYOB podcast about PFsense I have setup a PFsense router. I can see where it will be much more flexible than my old Netgear router. It works quite well. On WHS verson 1 I turned on remote access and everything configured correctly. Problem is I only get a 404 page not found when I click on my homeserver.com domain link.

- Yes I can access remote login via 192.168.1.??? but not via the assigned domain name

- Yes I have released the domain name and re configured - same result

- Yes I have enabled UPnP and WHS assigned the correct ports into PFsense

This is a WHS version 1 system.

For clarity the domain name I am talking about is given to each WHS user who runs a WHS (under WHS setting| remote access)

Any advice most welcome. I'm stuck.

Do you know your public IP address? Is it a dynamic or fixed IP address. If you enter that IP address does your remote access logon page come up? It may be a problem with Windows Live ID (the service that connects your issued domain name to your public IP address.

maxstacks

Do you know your public IP address? Is it a dynamic or fixed IP address. If you enter that IP address does your remote access logon page come up? It may be a problem with Windows Live ID (the service that connects your issued domain name to your public IP address.

Yes. I suppose what you mean by my public ip is the one shown on the PFsense dashboard next to WAN.

No, remote access doesn't come up when I enter that Ip, PFsense login comes up.

How does it work on your pfsense and WHS? If you tell me your PFsense settings I could try them.

cskenney

Yes. I suppose what you mean by my public ip is the one shown on the PFsense dashboard next to WAN.

No, remote access doesn't come up when I enter that Ip, PFsense login comes up.

How does it work on your pfsense and WHS? If you tell me your PFsense settings I could try them.

I am not running pfsense at this time. If you go to this web site, it will tell you your public IP address http://whatismyipaddress.com/.

Since I am an admin for the forums I can see the IP address you are using to post on the forums. If I enter that address in the following format "https://your_public_ip/remote" then I get your WHSv1 Remote Access page.

If this is the same address your are entering and the pfsense page comes up then you have something configured wrong (or you are entering the pfsense remote access)

edit - reading up, pfsense uses PORT 80 by default for remote access. Turn off the pfsense remote access and then try your WHS setup again. I but it will work.

Edited by cskenney
added info
geek-accountant

First, awesome to hear your have pfSense up and running and you like it.

Are you trying to get to the WHS page from outside the network (ie, from another location)? I have not had any problems getting to my WHS page from outside the network (I also have UPNP turned on), but I have not tried from inside the network. I just tried from inside the network and can not connect. Was this something you could do with your old router?

In my case, I have a dynamic address from my ISP, but these doesn't seem to matter since I never have issues connecting.