RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Super Router

geek-accountant

I actually have a dlink 1024 unmanaged switch

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817111031

Just a little uncertain if when I make the netgear an AP does that mean ports 1-4 become unusable? I know it would be easier if I was home but I'm on vacation and this is really helping me keep my sanity. Disney will drain you for sure. Lol

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I would not use the Netgears other ports but in a switch there and plug the AP into  the switch

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• geek-accountant

• ikon

• jmwills

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This post is a reply to pcdoc in another thread (didn't want to hyjack that thread with this unrelated topic).     pcdoc, one of the things I love about having my router (pfSense) and UTM (Untangle

agreed unless you need to dink with routing a lot it's pretty much a fire and forget solution. But if you have the need for heavy interaction of packet shaping/QoS/Porting etc.... PFSense is a lot eas

I don't recommend using PFSense in Hyper-V as it just has too many issues.   For the PFSense issue Open shell from the console create new document vi /usr/local/etc/rc.d/startup.sh and type

gyrene2083

You would use 1 of the 4 Netgear ports to connect it to your DLink switch. I would leave the other 3 ports, and the WAN port, empty. If you left all 4 of the Netgear's LAN ports, and its WAN port, empty there would be no way for your wireless devices to get to your network.

I won't disagree with pcdoc that you might get away with 2 switches. It's just that 1 switch pretty much ensures you won't have issues, at least if it's a decent switch, which yours is.

So pfsense to switch

netgear (ap), essentials 2012 and UnRaid connection from switch . Got it.

Thanks you guys. Ikon I sent you a pm when you get a free moment.

-Semper Fi

Gyrene2083

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2