RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Intel CPU Shortage

GarethC

I'm getting close to purchasing a Gen10 Plus but the whole thing seems pointless unfortunately as getting hold of a decent Xeon (E2246G / E2288G) seems impossible as I can't find them in stock anywhere.  My plan is to purchase the Pentium model and upgrade it to the Xeon and put 64GB RAM in. 

Edited by GarethC

Do you need the upgraded CPU off the bat, or could you run with the stock CPU and then upgrade at a later date, thats what I usually do..

I will yes, this would be replacing a Gen8 that runs 4 x domain controllers and an iTunes server 24x7, I would also be looking to migrate my CCTV server to it which is very demanding, it simply won't run off just the Pentium unfortunately. The only Xeon I can find at the moment is a used one with no details of its use, I've got my e-mail address down on a few sites to notify when stock becomes available, I just hope its soon. 

Edited by GarethC

My Gen10 Plus has a Xeon E-2224. Works great. Doesn’t support Intel QuickSync though this machine won’t even with a CPU swap. Saw that verified in a forum.

I'm not worried about QuickSync, the server is primarily used as a Hyper-V host & file server, as said previously the CCTV is very demanding (its currently running on a dedicated HP EliteDesk i7 G4 which gets virtually maxed out when viewing the 4 camera feeds, I have had this previously running on the Gen8 much better but found everything else (iTunes, DCs) benefits significantly from it not being on the host.  I'd therefore like to go for the fastest CPU i can get in the machine to give me the most options, with 64GB of RAM there is the potential to run many more machines within Hyper-V too (I have a test lab on a 2nd Gen8 currently). 

I need to do some more research between E2246G & E2288G to workout power usage with the additional components, but I'm only looking to be running the Xeon, 2 x SSDs, 2 x WD HDDs, iLO & an additional 4 port GB NIC. 

9 hours ago, Trig0r said:

I'll ask my guy if they are only in pre-built or if they're available as CPU options..

Cheers, I can see them listed and there were some in-stock months ago, its just nowhere has stock now.