RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Certificate error Gen 8 ML310E

TomP

When I try ILO login, I get a certificate error...

NET::ERR_CERT_AUTHORITY_INVALID

This server could not prove that it is 192.168.0.32; its security certificate is not trusted by your computer's operating system. This may be caused by a misconfiguration or an attacker intercepting your connection.

I can still ignore this error and get in, but it would be good to know how to fix this.

Maybe unrelated, but I cannot Ping the server either but have not experienced difficulty in normal operation

4 hours ago, scorpi2ok2 said:

if you want to get rid of that error you need to replace the SSL certificate with a trusted one.

Thanks, How do I find and replace this SSL certificate?

Also, have you any idea why I cannot ping my gen 8 ML310e when I can ping my gen 8 Microserver which has a clone of the ML301e Win 10 OS drive?

Not easily, you will either have to issue one from your own CA (I’m guessing you don’t have one) or purchase one. 

10 hours ago, GarethC said:

Not easily, you will either have to issue one from your own CA (I’m guessing you don’t have one) or purchase one. 

Thanks. I have searched extensively online, but I cannot find or cannot understand how to do this.

I know I am a complete novice on this, so can anybody help me understand what I need to do

Update: When I enter ILO > Administration > Security > Authorised SSH Keys, I see that the Administrator has...

"No SSH public key installed"

...and when I hit Authorise New Key, I am asked to "paste  the PEM encoded public key"

Is this pointing in the right direction and how do I get the above key?

Its not those that are the issue, its ILO > Administration > Security > SSL Certificate

But in order to be able to generate and import a certificate into the iLO you would need your own Certificate Authority (CA) which means you need a machine running Windows Server and the knowledge to setup and configure a Certificate Authority, or you need to purchase a certificate from a 3rd party vendor like Verisign etc but for home use this is overkill and i would simply ignore the warning when accessing iLO, in a home environment there is no harm in doing that. 

Edited by GarethC

5 hours ago, GarethC said:

Its not those that are the issue, its ILO > Administration > Security > SSL Certificate

But in order to be able to generate and import a certificate into the iLO you would need your own Certificate Authority (CA) which means you need a machine running Windows Server and the knowledge to setup and configure a Certificate Authority, or you need to purchase a certificate from a 3rd party vendor like Verisign etc but for home use this is overkill and i would simply ignore the warning when accessing iLO, in a home environment there is no harm in doing that. 

Thanks for the helpful advice. The error does seem to be just ILO (on both my Gen 8 servers) so it is good to know I can ignore it.

I also have an inability to ping the server, so are there any ideas how this can be fixed?

20 hours ago, GarethC said:

What OS are you running? If Windows and you turn windows firewall off can you ping it then?

I'm on Win 10 with Norton, which has turned Defender off.