RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
nrf

setting up a private microwave link to outbuilding

nrf
Posted (edited)

For those with multiple 'buildings', I just wanted to relate a recent project that so far has been successful. I had a NVR out at a barn and cameras run by it. I put a switch there then ran 350 feet of exterior CAT cable to my house. Unfortunately, too many times, in spite of having ethernet surge protectors at each end, equipment ended up being damaged during storms.

So this week I attached "microwave dishes" to my 'garage' and barn and ran my network thru the air. The devices can normally go up to multiple kilometers so I turned the transmit levels down all the way on both ends. The overkill also made accurate pointing moot as you couldn't get much signal drop when moving the dish around. (Still showing signal of -47 dBm...)

Only time will tell if it is any more resilient. After replacing the NVR multiple times, including under warranty, I have moved to 'real' POE cameras, R.I.P. Zmodo....

Devices are Ubiquiti PowerBeam M5 300. mounts are Ubiquiti Universal Antenna Mount UB-AM.

FWIW!

link1.jpg.1117d91d471b380a1519e5394c875cd9.jpglink2.jpg.8c75c12dbdd67949658799c0ac931e1b.jpg

Edited by nrf

Trig0r

I do like the Ubiq stuff, used a lot of the Nano M5's at the last place I worked.

nrf

They certainly have an ever evolving set of products. And they are pretty good about updating their firmware and making it easy to do, assuming you log on to one of your devices from time to time to notice. I happened to get these 'on the cheap' at my favorite auction site and they are way beyond my needs. Fingers crossed for reliability.

Trig0r

Never had any issues with them, at all, nothing.

We had sets in the middle of a city pinging a link from our office, to a customers tower into their access control and CCTV systems, then from the top of the same building to another building of theirs on the other side of the city centre and into the access control and CCTV, worked fine and had another set on a farm where the main building was behind a load of trees and we used media convertors to use the old coax cable from the house to the bend and then line of sight to the front gate that was a mile away to do a single camera and the access control on the gate..

oj88

No redundancy? Phooey! What kind of bang-up job is that? .... no redundancy....ewww...

:D Just messing with you. That's pretty neat.

The one thing I'd do different for posterity is to use a sector antenna at the base and then a dish at the remote site. Easier to do point-to-multipoint wireless connections if the need arises in the future.

nrf

sure but I don't foresee that need. only one barn I would involve. besides this is more 'private' :)