RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Backup software options

Kman

First I’m new but have listened to home server show for over the least a year

I have a home built home server v1 that has just recently been giving me a lot of hardware problems

I love the way WHS backup up all my other pc's without any intervention and have used the restore many times for all types of problems. I have a mix of pc’s OS versions. (Did hear your show a few weeks ago about backup and did the suggested settings changes... Thanks all)

With all the resent events I’m looking for options for my backups

What other software will perform backups like WHSv1

Points that I like and use:

Unattended backups with notification of failures

Easy bare metal restore (do not need to preinstall OS)

Can be restored starting with USB drive to boot from

Can restore one file if required

Uses some type of file matching so to keep my backup size smaller with 5+ pc’s

Extra’s that would be nice

Can backup my WHSv1 OS

Also if anyone has any info on Windows Home Server 2011 backups as I have not seen many posts about it. Does it perform the exact same way as WHSv1. Are there any limitations? I did read someone’s post about a 2Tb limit but I think this was backup up WHS2011 not backup’s of user pc’s

Any suggestions would be good

Edited by Kman

Glad to hear that WHS v1 is working well for you. Sounds like you've made good use of its functionality.

Regarding WHS Home Server 2011 RC: Depending on whether you have a couple spare hard drives you could use, I'd download and install WHS 2011 RC and play with that for awhile. If that's not possible, hang on for a day or two until people get the chance to play with this latest release. I'm sure they'll be posting their findings in the forums and talking about it on the HSS podcast.

As to backing up WHS v1 OS, I don't believe you can do it without an enterprise version of some backup software such as Acronis. Others can chime in on this as there may be a hack to do it.

Glad to hear that WHS v1 is working well for you. Sounds like you've made good use of its functionality.

Regarding WHS Home Server 2011 RC: Depending on whether you have a couple spare hard drives you could use, I'd download and install WHS 2011 RC and play with that for awhile. If that's not possible, hang on for a day or two until people get the chance to play with this latest release. I'm sure they'll be posting their findings in the forums and talking about it on the HSS podcast.

As to backing up WHS v1 OS, I don't believe you can do it without an enterprise version of some backup software such as Acronis. Others can chime in on this as there may be a hack to do it.

This sounds like my positing...I am very pleased with V1 but have had some difficulty with the hardware of late and am going to rebuild the V1 server with all new hardware. I will probably re-purpose the old hardware with V2...I started downloading V2 this morning and even though I have Fios with a fast connection it is showing .6 of 3.9GB downloaded and another day to finish the download...MS site is slow.

• 8 months later...

we've been using todo backup server for a long time. it offers full, incremental, and differential backup.

we usually set up a daily backup schedule, and save three versions of the images, which means that the software automatically delete the old images.

a specific file can also be restored in Windows explorer from a folder or partition backup image.

we are small business users, and can not afford some backup software costing 1k dollar.

so we found todo backup suits us very well.

u can also try it.

Just my opinion, but if you are going to use some third party tool to backup your files, I would look for ones that DO NOT create their own proprietary file system. In other words, you need to be able to see the native files without any external program. This is particular important for the home and SMB user.

And once again, none fo this does anything for you if you do not keep a copy offsite.

And once again, none fo this does anything for you if you do not keep a copy offsite.

Obviously offsite is best, but I wouldn't go so far as to say a local backup does nothing: far better to have a local backup than none at all. A fireproof safe can help, although it's not perfect either. There are other things you can do to help safeguard a local backup as well. I myself keep local and offsite backups.

Can backup my WHSv1 OS

I guess it hasn't been mentioned in quite a while, but you actually can't back up the WHsv1 OS partition. The issue is that it contains Drive Extender tombstone info. If you were to back up the OS partition and restore it at some later date, the tombstone data would be obsolete and would mess up DE.

The closest I have come to backing up a WHSv1 OS partition is when I was replacing the OS drive. I shut down the server, rebooted it with CloneZilla, backed up the drive, shut down the server again, replaced the OS drive, booted up with CloneZilla again, restored the WHSv1 OS partition, then rebooted into WHSv1 again. The thing to note is that, at no point, was the system booted into WHSv1 inbetween the backup and the restore: WHSv1 never knew it had been backed up and restored.