RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Share your WHS 2011 setup here

jvk

Wow, OK, now I have port envy. 24 ports, I think I am in love. That is some serious money for the card. Good luck with with it.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• pcdoc

• jvk

• Mmetzger

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, OK, now I have port envy. 24 ports, I think I am in love. That is some serious money for the card. Good luck with with it.

It's only money. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

My test box is an Antec 900 with 3 - 4 in 3 Hot swap backplanes, Gigabyte MB 4GB Ram, AMD x4 955 - My production box is a Norco 4220 with similar internal hardware except 2x Supermicro 8 Port SAS controllers to drive the Norco and V1 as the OS. I have Been testing 2011 on this for a little over week, Runs, acts and behaves exactly like my Development Test box which is 2008 R2 Standard which I run SQL Server on, IIS and IIS media services which is better than WHS 2011 if you know what you are doing. Backups work similar to v1. I think I will be uninstalling the RC this weekend, In my personal case so far I see no need for it.

My test box is an Antec 900 with 3 - 4 in 3 Hot swap backplanes, Gigabyte MB 4GB Ram, AMD x4 955 - My production box is a Norco 4220 with similar internal hardware except 2x Supermicro 8 Port SAS controllers to drive the Norco and V1 as the OS. I have Been testing 2011 on this for a little over week, Runs, acts and behaves exactly like my Development Test box which is 2008 R2 Standard which I run SQL Server on, IIS and IIS media services which is better than WHS 2011 if you know what you are doing. Backups work similar to v1. I think I will be uninstalling the RC this weekend, In my personal case so far I see no need for it.

Very interesting. I'm running SQL Server 2008 on my WHS 2011 box... can you elaborate on IIS media services. What is it and how are you using it?

Thanks,

jvk

First Post!

I have a computer that I have been using for testing purposes. I've used to test various operating systems and some virtualization. I did break down and buy 5 2TB Samsung LP drives to test out raid in this build. Got them on sale at Newegg a couple of weeks ago for $80 each. Only used 4 in the array however.

Disk%20Management.png

Took about 16-18 hrs to build raid 5 array in disk management.

WHS%202011.png

Parts List

When the final version comes out I will probably try for a smaller form factor and less power draw. I will probably go with a duel core Sandy Bridge i3 processor. 4GB of RAM 400w PSU and maybe a raid controller.

Very interesting. I'm running SQL Server 2008 on my WHS 2011 box... can you elaborate on IIS media services. What is it and how are you using it?

Thanks,

jvk

The best way to explain it would be to just provide a link to the website as I am not using it for home purposes.

http://www.iis.net/media

Edited by talex