RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Share your WHS 2011 setup here

jvk

I updated Deepthought with the release canidate software and a LSI 9280-2414e raid card. I am using 13 2TB Seagate Drives, in a Raid 50, configuation with 2 6 drive Raid 5 Arrays, and 1 hot spare.

Link to Deepthought Build

web.jpg?ver=12970325460001

web.jpg?ver=12970325570001

web.jpg?ver=12970325520001

Now to start transfering data..

Matt

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• pcdoc

• jvk

• Mmetzger

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that is a build! Love the size of that array!

My system info looks just like PCDoc's. I just finished my RAID testing. 24 hours of hammering on that poor Gigabyte board but it held up rather nicely. Find it here:

http://homeserversho...id-5-array.html

Dave, looking at your RAID 5 as it is now, is it possible to go into Disk Management and increase the size like you can with non-RAID drives? Because, yes, it seems like you should have storage space closer to 2 TB rather than what you've got now.

I updated Deepthought with the release canidate software and a LSI 9280-2414e raid card. I am using 13 2TB Seagate Drives, in a Raid 50, configuation with 2 6 drive Raid 5 Arrays, and 1 hot spare.

Link to Deepthought Build

web.jpg?ver=12970325460001

web.jpg?ver=12970325570001

web.jpg?ver=12970325520001

Now to start transfering data..

Matt

Nice, very nice. You jsut raised the bar. How long did it take to build the 18T array? That is one huge array. Great job.

Now that is a build! Love the size of that array!

My system info looks just like PCDoc's. I just finished my RAID testing. 24 hours of hammering on that poor Gigabyte board but it held up rather nicely. Find it here:

http://homeservershow.com/dual-raid-setup-on-windows-home-server-2011-and-adding-drives-to-a-raid-5-array.html

Hey Dave. One caution. I ran a similar motherboard/software solution for and while and it worked great except one thing. If the system losses power without a shutdown, it automatically starts a resync. No data loss but the resync takes forever. Just and FYI. If you are feeling courageous, plug the power plug...

Nice, very nice. You jsut raised the bar. How long did it take to build the 18T array? That is one huge array. Great job.

The array is still building in the background. The software estimates another 29 hours to go.

Yes, I can see a re-sync happening if power is lost. During my re-syncs I was still able to access data though. It may not stream a Blu-Ray during the process but at least its there.

Yes, I can see a re-sync happening if power is lost. During my re-syncs I was still able to access data though. It may not stream a Blu-Ray during the process but at least its there.

Very true, I had the same result but it becons the question as to whether or not your are protected during the resync. I also did not like the 96 hours of reduced performnace but you are right, most would never know and it would just keep working.

Matt you sir are an animal! Love it. My current WHS v1 set up only houses 800 GB of data, so I won't be needing to upgrade to a setup that is on par with yours, but I can still dream!

Thanks for sharing!

jvk

The array is still building in the background. The software estimates another 29 hours to go.

When did it start? Trying to get a feel for an 18T array. Mine was only 8 and took nearly 36 hours. It appears that you have 2 controllers so I am assumeing that they are doing things in parralel? Very impressive overall. I have 16 drives but in two servers not one but other than potential noise concerns in my office, I really like your setup.

When did it start? Trying to get a feel for an 18T array. Mine was only 8 and took nearly 36 hours. It appears that you have 2 controllers so I am assumeing that they are doing things in parralel? Very impressive overall. I have 16 drives but in two servers not one but other than potential noise concerns in my office, I really like your setup.

It looks like it will be 68 hours all together. It is however one card.

Link to the card's product page on the LSI web site

It's in a Narco case, so there are still 7 empty drive slots. One the checkbook recovers a bit....