RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Share your WHS 2011 setup here

jvk

Just thought it would be nice to see what everyone is using to test out the WHS 2011 Release Candidate. Are you running a virtual machine, or a dedicated box? What is the performance like? Have you experienced any hiccups?

My machine is a dedicated box and its pretty zippy. It is loads faster than my V1 machine (a lot of that is due to hardware improvements) although I would like to think that being a 64 bit machine also has something to do with it.

WHS2011JVK.png

So what are you running?

jvk

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• pcdoc

• jvk

• Mmetzger

Top Posters In This Topic

Just getting ready to set up mine on a Core i3-540 | Intel mobo | 4GB RAM system. Doing an Acronis backup of the current system, a W7 Pro HTPC.

I am running in a Core I3-530, with 4 gigs of DDR-1600. I moved my V1 server into a smaller box and used my huge Lian-Li full tower so I could stuff drives in it. A total of 10 without the use of any addon cages. I setup a 5x2T RAID 5 (8T usable) and a 3x2T RAID 5 (4T usable) and moved all the folders including the backups to one of these volumes. I used a caviar black (500 gig) for now, but will swithc to what Dave is using (icy dock mirror) for the final realeas. Will have a post pretty soon but overall I love it. It is hard to go use anythng else now especially for streaming HD around the house.

whs2011properites.jpg

Top drive for the OS, bottom 5 for the array.

p1010390p.jpg

The 3x2T drive array (4T usable)

p1010391z.jpg

My setup is all within my Hyper-V server.

WHS-2011

whs2011-system.JPG

I gave it two cpu cores and 2gig of ram. Right now all it has is the 160gig virtual drive which is part of the Raid 0 drive setup in the Win2008r2 - Hyper-V server setup. They server has both a Raid 0 and Raid 5 setup. VM's that I don't plan to keep long or don't mind losing, go on the Raid 0 drives, all others go on the Raid 5 drives.

I also have SBS-E running as a VM with the same specs as above.

sbs-e-system.JPG

With these two guys running on top of the other VM's I have running, the server still have plenty of room to run more. Once SP1 ever gets released, I should be able to almost double the number of VM's it could run.

hyper-v020511.JPG

In addition to the Raid 5 and Raid 0 setup on the Hyper-V server, I also have a USB 3.0 4bay drive enclosure attached with 4 1.5tb drives. Two of these are being used by WHSv1 VM, which is now fully up and running and in production backing everyone up every night.

probox.jpg

Very impressive and nice setup. I am in the process of revisiting untangle so we will have to have a separate discuusion on that subject as I would like to get your inputs.

pcdoc, I love Untangle, but only use it as a UTM and let pfSense be the router. I don't want to hyjack this thread, so I posted a longer response over in the Virtualization forum.

Nothing real exciting about my setup right now. I pulled the OS drive out of a Dell Inspiron 580 that I got off of Dell Outlet and put in a new 1.5Tb hard drive to try out WHS2011.

Capture%20of%20server.JPG

Nothing real exciting about my setup right now. I pulled the OS drive out of a Dell Inspiron 580 that I got off of Dell Outlet and put in a new 1.5Tb hard drive to try out WHS2011.

Capture%20of%20server.JPG

How does it run with 2 gigs of RAM? Have you noticed performance issues or heavy disk activity?

I propably have THE most boring setup around here..

I'm just running it in a simple VirtualBox VM on my desktop computer, C2D E8400 and 2 GB of ram for the VM.

And i've just come to realize, how much virtualbox sucks with USB devices.. I tried to get my VM to see usb-stick, so i could mess around with BitLocker. Needless to say, no joy.

I just wish Virtual PC would run 64bit guests....

Edited by kermi