RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

Which backup app for Gen8 + Win 10

nrf

no, I'd have to look at their stuff pretty carefully to see the implications of those techniques on recovery time for full and partial restorations. I will probably do that exercise at some time in the future like when I ditch Essentials.

TomP
Posted (edited)

Not good results sadly. Setting up an account was a nightmare and required Sales manual intervention, then it would not let me update my account, which then prevents me from raising a tech support case. Support chat line acknowledges problems but cannot get a fix after a week.

The agent loaded, but would not let me setup alerts and it cannot see my server to set up my first backup or let me setup alerts.

I did have to register separately on their Forum and saw that Agent for Windows has problems with W10 build 2004 (inc restore media not working) and a no fix date is quoted yet. Maybe this is the problem I see? Not a good first experience.

Finally, the attractive reverse incremental backup scheme is not available in Agent for Windows (other features too) only in Backup & Replication, so as far as I can see, there are no advantages over Acronis but I will wait to see if things get fixed before I abandon Veeam

Edited by TomP
hit save too soon

TomP
On 7/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, schoondoggy said:

If you are looking for a more traditional backup and recovery, Paragon Community Edition is still free:

https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/

Thanks Neal, I have used Paragon Hard Disk Manager for many years (which includes backup) and it was the first backup product I used. Originally it had a simple proprietary restore disk that worked fine, but then they moved to Win PE in later versions and even with their limited tech support, I was unable to get it working so that was when I moved to WHS2011.

I have the latest V17 HDM and just tried to create a WinPE recovery disk and still could not get it to work, again with a lot of communication with tech support. The incremental backup process is basically the same as Acronis anyway

TomP
On 7/9/2020 at 7:39 PM, schoondoggy said:

If you are looking for a more traditional backup and recovery, Paragon Community Edition is still free:

https://www.paragon-software.com/free/br-free/

Hi again,

After months of trying to get Acronis and Veeam to work, I was pointed to Macrium Reflect which seems to resolve most of my issues, whilst being faster with more effective (smaller) use of HD space, plus a number of unique useful features.

However it uses VSS which my DrivePool does not support, so I am looking for an alternative to run on my Win 10 server.

Advice would be most welcome.

schoondoggy

For backup and recovery, I tend to recommend: 

Macrium Reflect for imaging

or

Veeam for users looking for more robust features or managing lots of clients

or

Paragon for more traditional backup-

or 

Allway Sync for data synchronization/backup  

TomP
16 hours ago, schoondoggy said:

For backup and recovery, I tend to recommend: 

Macrium Reflect for imaging

Thanks, Macrium is my imaging choice running on the client.

Which VSS compatible File duplication (or 'software RAID') do you advise running on my Win 10 Server? or is Windows Storage spaces my only choice - it is apparently supported by Macrium.

Edited by TomP

schoondoggy

This thread started with backing up clients to the Gen8 are you now looking at backup for the Gen8?

TomP
1 hour ago, schoondoggy said:

This thread started with backing up clients to the Gen8 are you now looking at backup for the Gen8?

Apologies if it was not clear, I am still looking to backup clients (with Macrium now) to the Gen 8 Win 10 server

schoondoggy

Some random thoughts.

System images that Macrium creates are great for BMR, but I still wrestle with the idea of using a recovery image to replace a failed drive or just doing a clean OS install and copying the data files back. If DrivePool is not a compatible destination for Macrium to work with perhaps you could add a drive to the MicroServer that is not part of the DrivePool for Macrium image storage, maybe a USB drive. Then copy the image files into DrivePool.. When I think of DrivePool duplication technology, I tend to think of  file sync products like Allway Sync. You could sync all of the files from client systems to folders in DrivePool and have them duplicated. It all depends on how you structure a 3-2-1 backup strategy.

• Like 1