RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
TomP

Which backup app for Gen8 + Win 10

TomP

In earlier posts, I was advised that Acronis would be a sensible app to try, but having set it up, I discovered it uses huge disk space compared to WHS2011 because it captures multiple full backups in between incremental versions. Average works out a 2x disk space.

Advice on alternatives (not Windows Server) would be much appreciated.

thiagotgc

Veeam Backup Agent...

Trig0r

Another Veeam vote.

TomP
20 hours ago, thiagotgc said:

Veeam Backup Agent...

18 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Another Veeam vote.

Thanks folks.

Is it the free 'Veeam Agent for Microsoft Windows 4' and/or other Veeam products? and what limitations does it have?

nrf

while I used server 2016 essentials backup, I have set up the one free scheduled backup job veeam agent gives you to make alternate backups on some of my PCs to NAS shares. it also gives you multiple/varied ways to do manual backup tasks. the other 'free' stuff they offer seemed too complex for me to deal with at this point.

TomP
4 hours ago, Trig0r said:

Depends exactly what you are backing up.

https://www.veeam.com/downloads.html

I need to backup 3 W7 pcs, two with 2x2TB data HDs (about 75%full) and one with a single 2TB data HD about 25% full. I have been using WHS2011 for years but need to move on as it does not really support W10 and larger HDs. This is done daily and I need to retain data for about 6 months in case I need to restore old (music recording and editing) files.

I also need to reliably backup the 500GB OS SSDs on all 3 PCs, both for bare metal restore and also restore individual files.

As a complete newbie, I struggle with trying to understand Veeam as their documentation talks about database terminology rather than how to achieve my backup needs as well as not being clear about what of their software needs to be on PC or server.

Advice would be much appreciated... Thanks

TomP
2 hours ago, nrf said:

while I used server 2016 essentials backup, I have set up the one free scheduled backup job veeam agent gives you to make alternate backups on some of my PCs to NAS shares. it also gives you multiple/varied ways to do manual backup tasks. the other 'free' stuff they offer seemed too complex for me to deal with at this point.

Which agent did you use? Was it this ... https://www.veeam.com/windows-endpoint-server-backup-free.html...or something else?

Maybe I could try this to backup my OS SSDs which I do to external USB HD rather than a NAS / server.

Edited by TomP
hit save too early

nrf

that's the one, the FREE version. the recovery usb sticks are pretty handy, they let you add drivers to them in the process.

Edited by nrf

TomP
On 7/2/2020 at 2:52 AM, nrf said:

that's the one, the FREE version. the recovery usb sticks are pretty handy, they let you add drivers to them in the process.

Thanks Neal.

The Veeam site is rather daunting to find out information, but I had a very good online chat where they provided a lot of information.

In my case where I am backing up a lot of data, backup size is most important and their methods of forward and (even more interesting) reverse incremental backup seems to be more suitable than the Acronis schemes.

Are you familiar with the pros vs cons of each method? Especially the 'Synthetic Full' incremental is something I'd like to understand.