RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Jason

Synology Active Backup for Business?

Jason

Is anyone running this with their Synology NAS? Was considering replacing my existing Windows Server Backup schedules with the NAS as the storage destination to using ABB instead. Would backup both server OSes and Hyper-V VMs.

Christian

My WHS2011 is getting old. I have been wondering what to do. I ended up with a Synology DS920+. So far I'm pretty impressed.

I have been able to move my unifi controller from WHS2011 to Synology (surprisingly easy).

I used docker to install a few applications that manages media and installed Emby media server.

I'm now working on setting up "Active Backup for Business". It will backup my PCs every evening, but I have trouble with wake-on-lan (WOL) and keeping the clients active while the backup takes place.

I'm looking at this https://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-wake-up-windows-machine-via-wol-from-synology-nas but I have not been able to make it work yet. The backup does not run at night. Instead it picks up when the PC is turned on and someone is working on the PC. I must be doing something wrong with the task. I use this string to wake up the PC 

synonet --wake <mac of PC> eth0;

but I'm doing something wrong.

I have not tried to run a restore process. Overall "Active Backup for Business" looks like it will be able to manage my backup needs. 

I have never had a NAS before. Have to say that I'm pretty impressed with by DS920+.

nrf

interesting article for the synology end of the equation.... how about the WOL settings on the clients? there are actually two tabs on the property widget relating to WOL that need to be configured.

Jason

Also using Active Backup, but have been experiencing partial backups of a Windows 10 laptop. Can’t figure out how to resolve this issue to achieve a full complete backup of this machine.