RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
chrisand

Complete Beginner, Don't Know Where to Start

Noth
3 hours ago, chrisand said:

HP Microserver seems decent indeed. ~£200 on Ebay is possible. What kind of software could I run that on if I wanted to try something that isn't Windows? Part of the learning here definitely involves using something besides Windows, if possible.

Could I do Unraid by sticking a USB stick in? I've also heard of ZFS, but I don't think that's an OS. I'd also be up for Linux if that would work. 

ZFS is a very resilient filesystem with lots of nice archiving options, but it requires you to use ECC RAM (which the Microserver supports). It's available on Linux (Ubuntu has support at install) , FreeBSD as well as OmniOS (an OpenSolaris descendent). You might want to start with HyperV if you want to run VMs, although that has a limited test period. ESXi and ProxMox run well too, and most non-Microsoft OSes provide virtualization out of the box with no extra cost for the Open Source ones. The difference is you may not have a GUI to set everything up.

You can definitely stick a USB stick with Unraid or other in there, or install to a microSD card. 

chrisand
9 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

The Big question on this site is always  "are you looking for an appliance or a hobby?"

you can build your own stuff  and unless you repurpose existing hardware, you dont save a whole lot of money  you do get a lot of flexibility and upgrade potential.  quite of bit of hands on effort, which is cool if you are looking for that

from an appliance standpoint , both Synology and Qnap  make it easy to connect to remote NAS's for backuo

Just hang a USB drive off your box and let your backup buddy have access to it

or just use one of a number of cloud backup services for backup is even easier

Fair question. As others have pointed out, I could reasonably back up on USB HDD's (which I already do), but this leans much more towards the hobby end of the spectrum.

JackoUK
On 6/27/2020 at 10:19 PM, chrisand said:

Could I do Unraid by sticking a USB stick in? I've also heard of ZFS, but I don't think that's an OS. I'd also be up for Linux if that would work.

All manner of options are open to you.

https://www.unraid.net/

I wonder if the series starting at:

https://www.servethehome.com/building-a-lab-part-1-planning-with-truenas-and-vmware-esxi/

might help you organise your thoughts?

It might provide at least a template for getting things together, even if you choose different components.