RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Dell T40 - Anyone have one

hfournier

The T30 was a pretty good option and alternative to the HP MicrosServer. It came with 4 drive-bays, pre-wired and including cages. And, you could boot from the PCIe slot.

From what I've been able to find online, the T40 only has 3 drive-bays, one pre-populated with a 1 TB drive, but does not include wiring or cages for other bays. That is confirmed in the Dell T40 Technical Guide doc, where it states:

Storage

The list below are basic information about hard drive storage for the PowerEdge T40:

• The PowerEdge T40 supports up to 3 x3.5 -inch entry level HDD
  • 3 x 3.5 -inch cabled SATA from the system board SATA connector
  • The T40 factory configuration only comes with 1 set of HDD/HDD carrier.
  • If the customer wants to install 2nd or 3rd HDD they need to purchase APOS cust kit. The APOS cust kit includes the HDD, HDD carrier and cable.

no sign of an APOS cust kit on the Dell website. But, it certainly sounds like you have to buy the drives from Dell as part of the kit. Maybe find HDD carriers on eBay, but they seem to be doing their best to make it a PITA to configure this server on your own.

The same technical guide also shows:

PCIe slots

The PowerEdge T40 provides the following PCIe slots:

• Slot 1 : PCIe Gen3 x16 (x16 Connector) - FH/HL , from CPU
  • Slot 2 : PCI - FH/HL from PCH
  • Slot 3 : PCIe Gen3 x4 (x4 Connector) - FH/HL( Open ended) , from PCH
  • Slot 4 : PCIe Gen3 x4 (x4 Connector) - FH/HL( Open ended) , from PCH

so I should be able to use a StarTech PEX8M2E2 in slot 1 with 2 NVMe drives (RAID 1) for the OS, but I've read online that booting from PCIe is disabled in the BIOS.

Does anyone have a T40 that can confirm/deny the latter?

5 hours ago, hfournier said:

The T30 was a pretty good option and alternative to the HP MicrosServer. It came with 4 drive-bays, pre-wired and including cages. And, you could boot from the PCIe slot.

From what I've been able to find online, the T40 only has 3 drive-bays, one pre-populated with a 1 TB drive, but does not include wiring or cages for other bays. That is confirmed in the Dell T40 Technical Guide doc, where it states:

no sign of an APOS cust kit on the Dell website. But, it certainly sounds like you have to buy the drives from Dell as part of the kit. Maybe find HDD carriers on eBay, but they seem to be doing their best to make it a PITA to configure this server on your own.

The same technical guide also shows:

so I should be able to use a StarTech PEX8M2E2 in slot 1 with 2 NVMe drives (RAID 1) for the OS, but I've read online that booting from PCIe is disabled in the BIOS.

Does anyone have a T40 that can confirm/deny the latter?

It sounds like there is an M.2 NVMe slot on the system board of the T40, but it appears to be disabled.

The Startech card should work, but it is an expensive route to get two NVMe drives in a server. You could use separate PCIe NVMe adapters in each of the PCIe x4 slots. That would be cost effective, but you would use up both x4 slots. How were you planning to set RAID1 for the NVMe drives? 

8 minutes ago, schoondoggy said:

The Startech card should work, but it is an expensive route to get two NVMe drives in a server. You could use separate PCIe NVMe adapters in each of the PCIe x4 slots. That would be cost effective, but you would use up both x4 slots. How were you planning to set RAID1 for the NVMe drives? 

Cool. Do you have any suggestions for cards?

Software RAID? I'm more concerned about fail-over than performance.

It's for the OS, so I need to be able to boot from it.

I've also got a thread in the Gen 10 Plus forum with the same setup using one of those instead.

Edited by hfournier

If you just want NVMe drives you could use two of these:

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=887

If you are not using a ODD drive you could use the fourth SATA port to run a M.2 SATA SSD in addition to a NVMe drive on one of these:

https://www.sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=937

The T40 should boot from NVMe.  

This thread in the Dell forums appears to confirm that the M.2 slot on the motherboard is indeed disabled in the BIOS. But, it also confirms that you can boot from a NVMe drive in the PCIe slot.

And this thread states that the drive caddy is Dell Part Number 65KHD or 065KHD and the SATA cable is Dell Part Number TX8M7. No results for either of those while searching the Dell site. Found a couple of caddies on eBay (from XPS 8930) for $45 CDN EACH (including shipping).

So Dell is selling a server that only comes with 1 SATA drive, and no way to add more SATA drives, and disabled M.2 slot. Useless!