RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
SilentEnigma

Usage of VPN

SilentEnigma

Hello everyone. I am trying to gather a little bit of information that is not generic. As you can see the topic and we all know the generic usages of vpn but can you tell me one thing that you know is not generic and easily found on Google? I am trying to put a report together, and I have to submit it before the deadline (6th July). Thanks! :) 

cskenney

The title doesn’t provide much to go on.  Is it about what Is a VPN used for? Setting up a VPN for a specific purpose?  VPN security?  Do you have an outline?

oj88

Define "generic". Or better yet, give an example of what you think is a generic use of VPN.

SilentEnigma

I really hoped some answers on the thread.. :D
Well, my main question is what is a VPN used for. I dont have an outline. Like I have to elaborate the usage of VPN but there are general uses that everyone knows related to the privacy, content unlocking, accessing restricted sites using VPN. I mean these are known usages. Are there any that you might feel you can add on. I have read through sites of different VPNs, rankings and reviews sites and more or less they have these features mentioned in there. I managed to talk to a guy who happens to work for a VPN and he was like that there are 12/13 commonly "known" use cases, but there can be more. So, when I say generic I mean these commonly known use cases.

Hope the above clears things a bit.

Al_Borges
Posted (edited)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Virtual_private_network

I use it to maintain my privacy on public networks -    there are known problems with using a open wifi connection in public wifi networks ,such as airports and even hotels

with the right software, you can snoop and capture logins/ passwords on unencrypted wifi transmissions

Edited by Al_Borges

oj88

Once you have a reasonable understanding of how VPN works, you can easily extrapolate any number of use cases:

1. VPN is oftentimes called a "tunnel". You create a tunnel from your device or network to whatever, whoever, or wherever the other end terminates to. Like a tunnel, as long as your data stays within that tunnel (encrypted), anyone and anything outside the tunnel won't be able to read it. This is the privacy aspect of VPN.

2. You can also create a tunnel from a  device like a PC or mobile phone (remote-access VPN) or from one network to another network (site-to-site VPN) using a router or firewall. This allows you to access the remote network's resources like you're physically there. This is the remote access features of VPN.

3. If you extend the concept of #2 above and give the 2nd network a gateway for internet access, then you have effectively make yourself anonymous. Any network traffic you generate will not show your actual IP address, rather, websites will see the IP address as coming from the 2nd network.

4. If you again extend the concept of #3 and the 2nd network is in another country, you will then be able to access geo-locked sites or content from that country.

And so on...

You can extrapolate more use cases from those concepts. 

As with almost anything, VPN can be used for good as well as for bad, or at the least, questionable intentions. As an example... most organizations block Facebook and/or Youtube on their networks for good reason. A shady employee can use a VPN to bypass those filters and policies. Another example: Some ISPs throttle high-bandwidth traffic like video streaming or P2P/torrents. Oftentimes, using a VPN will let you bypass those restrictions (as their filter algorithm won't be able to pry into your tunnel to make a determination of what kind of traffic it is).