RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Router vs Switch

ImTheTypeOfGuy

In one of the threads this week I read where someone posted that routers are not as efficient as switches and could cause some slowdowns on a network. Given this, should I connect my modem directly to my 16 port gigabit switch and then connect my router off of the switch. Thus the router becomes just a wireless access point. Isn't the router needed for security purposes though? If yes, should I go from modem to router to switch and then connect everything off of the switch, thus the router can act as a firewall but yet all my devices are connected via the switch only. Obviously I am not a network guru given these questions. Come to think of it, I may not be a guru at much of anything.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dvn

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• cskenney

• ikon

yes

In response to which question?

I'm not a guru of any sort?

Modem to router to switch?

Modem to switch to router?

If the router does not have Gigabit ports then yes, connect the router to a gigabit switch and at least all internal wired traffic will be at gigabit speeds.

Isn't the router needed for security purposes though? If yes, should I go from modem to router to switch and then connect everything off of the switch, thus the router can act as a firewall but yet all my devices are connected via the switch only.

Correct. That's the preferred method.

In response to which question?

Sorry about that, ITToG. I just didn't notice the first question about the idea of modem>switch>router. As you've now heard, you really want modem>router>switch for security and speed.

And while we're talking about switches, does anyone know of a good mid-priced switch they would recommend? I'm definitely no guru, but I've heard that buffer size can be a factor in transfer rates.

If the router does not have Gigabit ports then yes, connect the router to a gigabit switch and at least all internal wired traffic will be at gigabit speeds.

This is what I have done on my Fios Actiontec router...after the router I have two switches that broadcast to the rest of the house. Anything that has a gigabit switch is connected to the 10/100/1000 switch while anything (Xbox / Tivo) else is connected to an older switch I hadn't had a reason to upgrade. So far so good...all connections indicate gigabit network attached in the system tray.

Sorry about that, ITToG. I just didn't notice the first question about the idea of modem>switch>router. As you've now heard, you really want modem>router>switch for security and speed.

And while we're talking about switches, does anyone know of a good mid-priced switch they would recommend? I'm definitely no guru, but I've heard that buffer size can be a factor in transfer rates.

Check out this thread for some discussion on good switches.