RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

HP Microserver Gen8 CPU Fan

jordonb

Hello,

I have a GEN8 microserver and i am looking to replace the stock CPU Cooler, because it keeps over heating. Anyone got any suggestions on a good cooler?

What CPU have you got in there at the minute?

Stock cooler, iirc is good for 35w, there is a heat pipe version thats 65w but theres always the option of fitting an internal fan, or if you have changed CPU could be a simple mating/compound issue.

• Like 1

Personally, I've used a lower TDP Xeon in my upgrade rather than a power hungry one as I only have the stock cooler.  For my use, that works perfectly, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on a better cooler, although I hope others can... best of luck!

The 65w HP cooler was way over my budget, costing about twice what the original box cost me:

This is it, I think:

https://www.lambda-tek.com/HPE-832667-001~sh/B3698829&viewSpec=y#product-view

1 hour ago, binky said:

Personally, I've used a lower TDP Xeon in my upgrade rather than a power hungry one as I only have the stock cooler.  For my use, that works perfectly, so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice on a better cooler, although I hope others can... best of luck!

The 65w HP cooler was way over my budget, costing about twice what the original box cost me:

This is it, I think:

https://www.lambda-tek.com/HPE-832667-001~sh/B3698829&viewSpec=y#product-view

That is a ridiculous amount indeed!

• Like 1

To be fair I paid half that, but still not cheap..

I had the 1260 xeon in mine which was well within the 65w limit, guessing you're pushing the 1230 hard for it to be over heating..

7 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

To be fair I paid half that, but still not cheap..

True... it's the same price as I paid for my Xeon CPU that's been happily running for a few years now 😎

I paid retail for my CPU and the Heat pipe heatsink, I've never actually added up what my Gen8 cost me over the years, probably for the best..

• Haha 1