RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Tiderfish

WHS still going strong!

Jason

Unfortunately I think you would need to migrate to WHS2011 up to Windows Server 2016 Essentials in order to get the 25-client license capability. Though someone else here may know a hack or workaround. Apologies but I do not.

Tiderfish
1 minute ago, nrf said:

that might be considered verboten in a law-abiding forum

Yeah I was afraid of that...

1 minute ago, Jason said:

Unfortunately I think you would need to migrate to WHS2011 up to Windows Server 2016 Essentials in order to get the 25-client license capability. Though someone else here may know a hack or workaround. Apologies but I do not.

Just to be clear, I can skip 2011, and just got to WSE2016 and use it's backup right? 

Does it have the same features of the V1 backup? bare metal restores, and individual file level backups, as well as data de-duplication?

Jason

Yes, and it’s built on top of the more current Windows 10 server 64 bit architecture, so it’ll offer all-around improved performance.

Tiderfish

Awesome! Will it load onto my HP media smart 495 ;)

Tiderfish

I just wanted to follow up and mention that I was able to do a bare metal restore today from WHS v1 to a 64bit Windows server 2016 onto a fresh hard drive. The only hiccup was finding the right drivers for the NIC. 

In the mean time I am setting up a WSE2016 server to supplement the WHS v1 server on  a hardware NAS unit that has 6 drive bays. It does not have hardware RAID, but from the factory they employ Windows Server software RAID to tie in all the drives into one large unit. My question is this, should I let Server Essentials manage the drives individually or RAID 5 them all together? 

Let me know if this should be its own thread. 

Thanks,

Matt|ttaM

nrf

hmmm so whsv1 would do a backup and restore of a server pc?

Tiderfish

Yup, Now I should point out that the configuration was basic. I didn't have and domain controller services, or really any services installed other than what was stock installed. Basically, I installed the OS on a TB drive, but thought that was a waste, so I put in a 150GB Raptor drive I had kicking around, and bare metal restored it from WHS v1. I did have lots of windows updates, and a few basic programs installed. 

oj88

That's where the "YMMV" caveat comes in. Nobody really knows how and when it will stop working.... if it does stop working. 

But when you're out on a limb with a dead hard drive and that backup is your only hope, you ought to make sure you can recover from it.

It is remarkable though.