RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

N40L Died

eagleGee

Hey Brains Trust, 

so my N40L died over the weekend so now looking at what to do next.. 

Question is can i buy an ATX motherboard which i think might be a struggle getting something to fit, alternatively would i be able to reuse the HDD enclosure in another system if i built one myself?

cheers

If the N40L does pretty much what you want, then the second hand market might have something to offer ...

... even a well -specified Gen 8 microserver, should you wish to power up a little.

You could re-use the RAM and disk caddies in a 'new' Gen7 device, or sell them for some small change.

Others may know better but I think the Gen7 casing is too bespoke to find any interoperability.

Edited by JackoUK

Have you diagnosed what actually failed? Power supplies are the most common thing to die, they also are easy to replace.

I'm also interested in the failure mode. For the foreseeable future, I've got low power but somewhat critical programs running on three N40Ls.

So i believe its the motherboard, mainly the display which i think has been knocked and broken off. either way i would need to replace the motherboard.

was also thinking, could i upgrade the motherboard to a newer version from G8 or newer?

• 1 month later...

Sorry to hear, that sucks :(

I had an N40L that i was adding a 1gig NIC to, after putting it all together I needed to do something, can't recall what - and like an idiot i did not unplug the power cable, loosened the board and when pulling it back the card moved in the PCIex slot, the dreaded RED LIGHT displayed and tried everything to get it back to life, but to no avail :(