RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3000

Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:

• BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019)
  • iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020)
  • Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)

and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):

• Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017)
  • Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)

Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.

• Like 1

radaxian
On 6/14/2020 at 5:24 AM, E3000 said:

Hey guys,

As of June 2020, what are the latest versions of firmware for HP Microserver Gen8 to be installed on the system itself? Also do any other components have updatable firmware/os-independent software?

So far my list is as follows:

• BIOS - J06 (04/04/2019)
  • iLO 4 - v2.73 (11/02/2020)
  • Intelligent Provisioning - v1.71 (20/02/2019)

and I guess the following could also be added (although both out of date):

• Smart Update Manager (HP SUM) - v8.1.0 (21/12/2017)
  • Service Pack for ProLiant (06/11/2017)

Date formated as DD/MM/YYYY.

I believe all the B120i Smart Storage stuff is part of Intelligent Provisioning.

Yes, I think those are the latest. They match mine from ILO.

The drivers for the OS are just as important. I run Windows Server 2019 so if you need driver advice just reply.

Firmware.JPG

• Thanks 1

UKChris

I seem to be missing the intelligent provisioning, does anyone know what effect this has and also how i correct it.

Capture.JPG

Noth
10 hours ago, UKChris said:

I seem to be missing the intelligent provisioning, does anyone know what effect this has and also how i correct it.

Capture.JPG

Do you have an iLO Advanced license? It's required to use Intelligent Provisioning beyond the 15 day trial period. Intelligent Provisioning is only useful for install, not required for day to day operations.

UKChris

I have the iLO advanced licence.

radaxian
On 6/26/2020 at 10:45 AM, Noth said:

Do you have an iLO Advanced license? It's required to use Intelligent Provisioning beyond the 15 day trial period. Intelligent Provisioning is only useful for install, not required for day to day operations.

Yes I also have the advanced license. I'm pretty sure I found a seller on eBay with a valid code for around $15 so it was no big deal.

BTW I never used Intelligent Provisioning. I just ran a manual install of Windows 2019 server.

UKChris

So i managed to install intelligent Provisioning V1.7, however when i try to go into it I end up on a strange command prompt. I have been having issues getting esxi installed onto the usb (couldn't do it via ILo or USB), however i eventually managed  to get it installed and running yesterday and decided that its is working and not worth the hassle to mess on further.

Radaxian, I did the same the other year and so far it has been fine.  Does windows 2019 work ok on these?

radaxian
Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, UKChris said:

Radaxian, I did the same the other year and so far it has been fine.  Does windows 2019 work ok on these?

Yes Windows 2019 installed without a hitch and has all drivers loaded.

(Presented the ISO image via ILO)

I use RAID mode and present 5x separate RAID0 volumes to the OS. The main SSD just needed the drivers (Filename p033111.exe) offered up during the install wizard, but after that it went smooth as silk. I then used Storage Pools to create a Parity volume with 4 disks and customized the interleave sizing for performance. Can't compain, it works well and is whisper quiet. Here's my guide

In the past I had an old N54L Gen7 server with Ubuntu v14 and ZFS which was amazing really, but Windows has caught up a lot these days so I've gone back that way for now.

Edited by radaxian
  • Like 1

E3000
Posted (edited)

4 hours ago, radaxian said:

Yes Windows 2019 installed without a hitch and has all drivers loaded.

(Presented the ISO image via ILO)

I use RAID mode and present 5x separate RAID0 volumes to the OS. The main SSD just needed the drivers (Filename p033111.exe) offered up during the install wizard, but after that it went smooth as silk. I then used Storage Pools to create a Parity volume with 4 disks and customized the interleave sizing for performance. Can't compain, it works well and is whisper quiet. Here's my guide

In the past I had an old N54L Gen7 server with Ubuntu v14 and ZFS which was amazing really, but Windows has caught up a lot these days so I've gone back that way for now.

Thanks for that guide! It may come in handy 😉👍
It does seem like the system cannot be as quiet running a  Linux based OS as it can running Windows, did you also find that true?

Edited by E3000