RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 122, What do you think ?

diehard

way to go talex,

I agree. You and others are right on, in my opinion. The way WHS2011 is right now, it's NOT HOME. I'm ok with yanking this product, if I want what it offers, I'll take SBS2011-Essentials.

...Get Media Center abilities in it and a soft-sled solution with rebust DLNA features so the WHS could truly be the center of your digital life... for the home.

I look at 2011 and wonder...should I wait for it again or simply find another solution that will get me my media the way we have all been stating for the last many years... yes years...

I call this version 0.002011; since I am still looking for a HOME SERVER, not just a small business server.

so sorry...but let the dog loose and let them search for a HOME SERVER solution.

way to go talex,

I agree. You and others are right on, in my opinion. The way WHS2011 is right now, it's NOT HOME. I'm ok with yanking this product, if I want what it offers, I'll take SBS2011-Essentials.

Thanks,

Just another disapointed user over the whole mess. I have tried and tried to justify Vail (2011) or whatever it will be called and just like you guys on show 121, I cannot do it no matter how hard I try. I am not an MVP, I am however an MCSE as well as a MCSD and I have about 8 people running V1 not only because it works, but it made my life easy helping them.

I cannot think of any way I want them to touch this new product, I have the software downloaded but cannot bring myself to even waste time installing it. I just had my 1st grandkid, as well as my Niece just had a boy, my parents went right out and bought HD video camera's and that is what they got for both my Daughter and Niece as well, they all will record TB's of videos now, this is just where the world is going and WHS seems to be going in an opposite direction.

Granted this is not the end of the world, but make no mistake about it, along with you guys in podcast 121 it is the end of WHS, there is simply not enough value in it just as a PC backup machine and if you have to store things like the video's I mentioned or even movie, large photo collections you will need to find something else anyways like a drobo, why build a server for tag a drobo on, why not just connect it to your network or even a Win7 Machine with Homegroup and be done with it?

This whole thing just sux to the high heavens, MS was taking things guys like me could promote and support and now they blow it completely, no doubt like other things Apple or some Linux flavor will take the whole idea and run with it, it's a shame.

Synology – So what’s managing PC backups? Does the backup solution only need 1 file for any number of computers, like v1?

Before saying that WHS 2011 RC boots way faster, load v1 onto the same system. Sure, V2 may be still faster but I bet it won’t anywhere as drastic as what you’re seeing now.

Demigrator causing streaming problems in v1? Sure, you can turn demigrator service on or off, but I read that turning off the demigrator service produces a Home Server Health Alert. So digging a little deeper, I found a solution where you suspend the demigrator service instead, which doesn’t generator a health alert. The author of the fix, WantStuff, posted this over in the We Got Served forums. I’ll let you check it out for yourselves if interested. For me, I have Task Scheduler run suspend.bat at 8 am and resume.bat at 2 am. I think that a 6 hour window for demigrator to do its thing is enough. I’ve been doing this for over a month with no negative effects.

2011 RC with no DE? MS, just go all the way and remove the word ‘Home’ from the name, right? If they thought v1 sales were light…

Windows 7 backup to a NAS? Does W7 backup work like WHS v1? Um, forget I said that. :rolleyes: