RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Podcast 122, What do you think ?

diehard

This week, we see the Release Candidate of Windows Home Server 2011.

What do you think ?

Will you give it a try ?

Is it worth the upgrade ? why/why not ?

Thanks for listening.

Great show as always guys. I downloaded the WHS 2011 and will probably run it on a VM if that's even possible anymore. Having a bunch of 2TB partitions and 25 drive letters just sounds super annoying. Not that the enthusiasts can't do it or figure out other methods to get around no drive extender...but what irritates me the most is, MS did a lousy job promoting Version 1 in the first place, and now, they've made it even more unfriendly for the average user.

No clue what they're even thinking at all. If you want to kill the project just kill it.

I guess I'll just continue on with Version 1 for a few more years then eventually break down and get it as my main production box, or find a different solution...and I didn't say Dro#*

Great show guys! Originally I was going to install 2011 on a 5400 rpm 1TB drive and then add smaller drives to the "pool". After listening to the podcast I have determined that I should install the OS on a smaller (320 GB) 7200 RPM drive so I can separate my main storage area from the OS. I am very excited about 2011 since there is no more DE migrater.exe to foul up my media streaming! I plan on backing up my server to an external usb drive frequently to replace the functionality of DE. Maybe I could modify an old safe that I have laying around that is fire and water resistant to be a usb hard drive enclosure. That way I can leave my external backup drive plugged into the Server and not have to worry about the drive being damaged in the event of a fire... I feel a build and forum post coming on!!! or maybe I should just buy an I/O safe and be done with it... Naahhhh I'm gonna build the usb safe enclosure! :)

jvk

Edited by jvk

You mentioned SyncBackSE. I installed it on my grandson's laptop at Christmas before he went back to college. I set it to automatically FTP his data files from Windows 7 to a remote WHS V1 I have. On the WHS V1 I installed FTP Manager. I FTPed into that server the other day and saw that new files are being add. Since I set SynBackSE to add new files and not delete old files from the server he can always grab a file that he deleted by mistake.

Give it a try,

Ed R

Interesting show this week, I feel like it was a bipolar shift from last weeks show but that's just fine. I won't be downloading the RC simply because I'm not interested in a WHS without some sort of built in data duplication. I'm sure a 3rd party will make something, but until then I don't see the point for ME. My hope before the DE Vail scandal started was to install Vail on my EX487 once someone found a way to do a headless install. But now with the removal of DE (which is fine so long as they provide something equal in it's place) I won't be able to install Vail with my existing EX487 if I have to rely on a 3rd party hardware vendor to create data duplication. With that, I'm not going to replace the EX487 (5200cpu upgraded) for newer hardware just to run a newer OS when my current one runs perfectly. Maybe I an being naive, but I'm not really sure what advantages I would gain from a 64bit Vail server, media streaming is done via Subsonic(web & iphone), I use uTorrent, WebcamXP for security cameras and PS3MediaServer for the PS3 which I would setup all on Vail as well. So for ME, right now, Vail offers nothing other than speed I suppose over what I already have, and I don't care about the speed as I find the EX487 fast enough. Again, I might be naive. Don't get me wrong, I upgrade all capable computers in our house to the newest Windows OS the day it comes out just because, so I would love to use Vail, but it's not longer the right fit for ME.

My parents LX195 was never compatible with Vail so I never planned on upgrading their WHS until it died. So although I would like to believe in Vail, promote Vail, run Vail I just can't. Not now at least. If sometime in the future someone can make Vail run on my EX487, enable some sort of data duplication and make some sort of storage pool (I'm not going back to drive letters) I'm all a board.

Jeff

Hey Jeff,

I don't think there is anything wrong with that strategy. There are others including myself that will be in the same boat. My issue will be with the Add-In's. I like running MyMovies on my server and until it's ready for 2011, if it's coming to 2011, I can't pull v1 out of production. I'm betting that many others will feel the same although with completely different Add-In's.

It was a bit of a bipolar shift. Show 121 was just an odd show. I don't know how to explain it better. I still feel that if 2011 is not successful there is a risk of it going away but you never know since it's now under the umbrella of the SBS team. Show 122 captured some of the excitement of 2011 finally going public but there is still that letdown of it not having DE. Then I throw a RAID array on it and feel better about the whole thing. (see PCDoc's post on RAID and my post on dual RAID) Time will tell I guess.

Dave

I'm super excited for WHS 2011 (because it's shiny and new), I just wish I was able to use it. For me a hardware raid is too expensive and beyond my knowledge and unless Microsoft incorporates a software raid into 2011, makes it really easy to use, I can only dream of the WHS 2011 days. I really hope WHS doesn't die off and makes it to V3 with a fabulous new DE like technology that makes us all go WOW like we did with Win 7. By then I'll be ready to buy new hardware, or could at least justify to the spouse the cost of new hardware for something shiny and new.

What's funny to me is how computer illiterate I am compared to most if not all of your listeners and probably 95% of all WHS users. Although I'm not a computer idiot by any means and used to program 15 years ago using C++, networking and computer hardware is beyond my comprehension. WHS V1 brought so much convenience into my and my parents life it honestly makes me sad to think about it possibly going away. I tried a raid once with my Netgear Readynas and all was good until it started having some sort of drive errors. Eventually I gave up google searching what the hell it was complaining about and went back to a Buffalo Linkstation NAS swearing off raid as something my brain just never was going to understand. I get the idea of it, but when things go wrong, my god it gets complicated. When I discovered WHS and my EX487 I felt like I found the holy grail, I could have my raid for dummies, add drives with ease unlike my ReadyNas or Linkstation, and it was so simple to use (It's Windows, I know Windows). To this day I tell my partner how much I love my WHS. My dad thinks it's the greatest thing to have entered his life now that he no longer has to listen to my mom complain about backing up her books. Or trying to explain to her that the current book is on the desktop and she has to move it to the laptop if she wants to continue writing downstairs.

This whole Vail DE fiasco has taught me that I love having a server and not a NAS, but having a server might be reserved for the more knowledgeable and that I should just embrace the NAS community. I'm probably just being dramatic, but I do feel like WHS will be killed off leaving most WHS to use SBS (through Technet) but the lonely home user like myself with no good options but a NAS :(

But alas, I'm going nowhere for now. Mine and my parents V1s are running great, it's still does everything I expect of it and more so I have no reason to complain. But damn, I want something shiny and new too. :(

Edited by jeffla

I'm super excited for WHS 2011 (because it's shiny and new), I just wish I was able to use it. For me a hardware raid is too expensive and beyond my knowledge and unless Microsoft incorporates a software raid into 2011, makes it really easy to use, I can only dream of the WHS 2011 days. I really hope WHS doesn't die off and makes it to V3 with a fabulous new DE like technology that makes us all go WOW like we did with Win 7. By then I'll be ready to buy new hardware, or could at least justify to the spouse the cost of new hardware for something shiny and new.

What's funny to me is how computer illiterate I am compared to most if not all of your listeners and probably 95% of all WHS users. Although I'm not a computer idiot by any means and used to program 15 years ago using C++, networking and computer hardware is beyond my comprehension. WHS V1 brought so much convenience into my and my parents life it honestly makes me sad to think about it possibly going away. I tried a raid once with my Netgear Readynas and all was good until it started having some sort of drive errors. Eventually I gave up google searching what the hell it was complaining about and went back to a Buffalo Linkstation NAS swearing off raid as something my brain just never was going to understand. I get the idea of it, but when things go wrong, my god it gets complicated. When I discovered WHS and my EX487 I felt like I found the holy grail, I could have my raid for dummies, add drives with ease unlike my ReadyNas or Linkstation, and it was so simple to use (It's Windows, I know Windows). To this day I tell my partner how much I love my WHS. My dad thinks it's the greatest thing to have entered his life now that he no longer has to listen to my mom complain about backing up her books. Or trying to explain to her that the current book is on the desktop and she has to move it to the laptop if she wants to continue writing downstairs.

This whole Vail DE fiasco has taught me that I love having a server and not a NAS, but having a server might be reserved for the more knowledgeable and that I should just embrace the NAS community. I'm probably just being dramatic, but I do feel like WHS will be killed off leaving most WHS to use SBS (through Technet) but the lonely home user like myself with no good options but a NAS :(

But alas, I'm going know where for now. Mine and my parents V1s are running great, it's still does everything I expect of it and more so I have no reason to complain. But damn, I want something shiny and new too. :(

Don't give up the server concept yet. For starters, we at the HSS and BYOB will make sure that we good and fairly cheap solutions before they go live with this product. Just to clear up a couple of things, first there is a software raid in WHS 2011. It is the same one in my post (link below). The real questions are whether or not you should use it. Boxes with built in controllers such as the ones at the bottom of this post (Check the bottom of the post) will become available and allow you expandable storage for reletively cheap. So hang in there and don't give up. I do not think you will have to resort to NAS unit just yet...

Check this out for software RAID

http://homeservershow.com/playing-with-raidalternative-to-de-part-1.html

For me WHS has really been demoted to just PC backups, so while I will try WHS2011 and SBS-E, I am in no hurry to move them into production as the PC backup of v1 is just fine.

For my parents, who I built a v1 server for around Christmas, there is NO reason to move to WHS2011 as long as v1 still works. The problem is even worse when it comes to what I would recommend to friends/family and co-workers. For now, if they can still find v1 hardware for sale, I would tell them to get that. After those are gone, I will just have to wait and see what hardware becomes available (ie, what can they buy at Best Buy). Basically if there isn't something they can buy at Best Buy (or other store), then I will not be able to recommend WHS2011 to anyone except other geeks.

Interesting show, but to me it sounded especially near the end like end users trying to bend over backwards to justify using the product. I really like your podcasts, so this is not meant to rip you guys but...

To me the reality is simple, 2011 is not WHS, all the solutions so far to work around DE would be better suited for a small business, not a home user. The call at the end to try this out so the platform can stay alive is a perfect example, basically... this is no where close to what we asked for but lets try it / potentially buy it and hope they listen for V3, that is just insane, what will V3 be if it lives? Stripping out PC backup and put a red UI on it? As to the statements about redundancy not being a key of the product, why does MS even to this day have protect, connect organize and grow on the MS WHS website? They just ripped out protect and grow (at least in the way v1 did it, now leaving both of those up in the air or for the community to grasp at straws to find a solution), basically we have Windows 7 here and that is glaringly clear, other than the backup feature this relase is just a bad idea period, x64 or not. Yes People wanted x64, but they also wanted Media Center and some tweaks to DE, they got x64 but at the cost of DE altogether and no Media Center at all. If I was Balmer my direction would be to get DE working properly, Get Media Center abilities in it and a soft-sled solution with rebust DLNA features so the WHS could truly be the center of your digital life... for the home.

The more anyone tries to make this release sound good, the worse it actually winds up sounding compared to v1 which speaks volumes, this is simply not Windows Home server, it is something different and the only way to promote this thing would be to a new audience, not the audience that bought into the protect, connect, organize and grow model we were sold on because this and any flavor of raid or external box required brings into question the need to use this OS over any other OS or solution that could take advantage of those solutions.

Personally if this is how MS is going to listen to the community I could care less if v3 ever comes out, let alone v2.

Edited by talex