RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen 10 PCIe/NVMe Boot

typod

On 9/4/2021 at 10:03 AM, Robertomcat said:

Hello, good morning.

But the M.2 devices you have built in are SATA or NVMe? Because I've been reading around the forum that sometimes they are not compatible, or not compatible at all.

How does the integrated controller manage all the storage drives? I mean if there is any performance drop in the communication between the storage devices that are connected to the PCI, and the drives that are in the bays.

I would like to install Windows Server 2019 on the PCI drive, and us the performance it will have communicating with the server bays. Thanks!

Take a look at my build thread, I have 2 x M.2 NVMe drives on a Lycom DT-130 card one of which hosts my Server 2022 installation. There are no performance issues between drives, I run 8 x VMs 24x7 and multiple other services from the host. 

Edited by GarethC

49 minutes ago, GarethC said:

Take a look at my build thread, I have 2 x M.2 NVMe drives on a Lycom DT-130 card one of which hosts my Server 2022 installation. There are no performance issues between drives, I run 8 x VMs 24x7 and multiple other services from the host. 

Ok, perfect. Thanks for the information. I will read your post. Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, good morning.

Is there any change to be made in iLO or BIOS to use NVMe as storage or operating system? Thank you.

On 9/22/2021 at 12:09 PM, Robertomcat said:

Hello, good morning.

Is there any change to be made in iLO or BIOS to use NVMe as storage or operating system? Thank you.

It depends on the card you are using, on my card i didn’t need to do anything. But if the card you choose doesn’t have an inbuilt switch you will need to enable PCIE bifurcation in the BIOS. 

• Thanks 1