RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Microserver Gen8 with P222 RAID Card - Issues

Mitch

Hi everyone, first time posting but have been a reader for a while!

An HP P222 RAID card arrived this afternoon for my Gen8 Microserver but I just can't get the system to boot with the card installed.

1. It takes forever to get through the "PCI Auto Configuration Start" (sometimes reboots a couple of times before continuing)

2. Then it gets to the screen where it says "Processor Initialization Complete"

3. Finally it'll show a big red screen with "NMI Detected. Please consult the Integrated Management Log for more details." across the top

In the Management Log I see two entries:

1. Unrecoverable System Error (NMI) has occurred. System Firmware will log additional details in a separate IML entry if possible

2. PCI Bus Error (Slot 1, Bus 0, Device 1, Function 0)

I have put RAID card into an old N40L (or N36L, can't quite remember) and it detects the card just fine. I was able to check the firmware on the card and it's at v8.32.

I have tried upgrading the bios on the Microserver, the firmware on the card looks to be as new as it will go, and I tried resetting the bios to default. I'm totally stumped since the P222 card is supposed to be the only supported RAID card for this system.

Does anyone have any ideas at all?

Cheers in advance!

Hi Schoondoggy, 

I'm using a Xeon E3-1230v2 CPU and that's a good point. I have a pcie nic I can try but no, I've never used a pcie card in this system before. 

Edited by Mitch

Okay, I tried the pcie nic and it worked just fine.

I'm now in the annoying troubleshooting spot where pcie cards work in this gen8, and the P222 works in other computers.

25 minutes ago, Mitch said:

I'm now in the annoying troubleshooting spot where pcie cards work in this gen8, and the P222 works in other computers.

Sounds like a BIOS setting issue to me, but I’m new to all this 🤷‍♂️

• 7 months later...
On 6/13/2020 at 11:15 PM, Mitch said:

Hi Mitch,

Very much the same as you, I have been using the default machine and have a few upgrades, one of which is the P222 which I just tried to fit.

Did you resolve this as I have the same problem with bus errors reported on the two attached WD red drives in the drive array?

Now if I go back to the onboard B120i I get a bus errors as well.

I am using the following:

System Rom J06 
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz

I just did a BIOS reset and it seems to be worse !

Gone from a usable system to nothing working.

I can launch ESXI from the onboard SATA (AHCI) but no disks.

Peter.

I believe you need to reset the BIOS using the hardware dip switches inside the server, although I can't remember the exact process and if it will affect the content already on the drives. If you already have a backup or the drives are empty then i would try doing this.

On 1/15/2021 at 9:45 PM, peterhurn said:

Hi Mitch,

Very much the same as you, I have been using the default machine and have a few upgrades, one of which is the P222 which I just tried to fit.

Did you resolve this as I have the same problem with bus errors reported on the two attached WD red drives in the drive array?

Now if I go back to the onboard B120i I get a bus errors as well.

I am using the following:

System Rom J06 
Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E3-1230 V2 @ 3.30GHz

I just did a BIOS reset and it seems to be worse !

Gone from a usable system to nothing working.

I can launch ESXI from the onboard SATA (AHCI) but no disks.

Peter.

Hi Peter,

The only way I could get the system to boot with the RAID card was to swap out the Xeon processor for the i3 the Gen8 originally came with. 

In the end, I preferred having the Xeon in there and so went with xpenology and its software RAID. In future I might switch to unRAID for something a bit more supported but for now it's been working a treat for at least 7 months.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/18/2021 at 7:52 PM, Mitch said:

Hi Peter,

The only way I could get the system to boot with the RAID card was to swap out the Xeon processor for the i3 the Gen8 originally came with. 

In the end, I preferred having the Xeon in there and so went with xpenology and its software RAID. In future I might switch to unRAID for something a bit more supported but for now it's been working a treat for at least 7 months.

Hi Mitch,

I managed to get this working.

I had to update the Smart Storage Administrator firmware.

I then took the P222 heatsink off, the thermal paste is pretty bad, I cleaned with IPA, fixed the locking mechanism for the heatsink, applied MX-2 thermal paste and put the heatsink back on the P222.

I have also added a Noctua 80mm NF-A8 PWM 12v fan to the case next to the P222, I need to design a fan mount and 3D print it to make this fit correctly.

Current Temp is around 40c.

The P222 never did take the config across from the onboard array, so I just rebuilt it.

Kind regards,

Peter.

• Thanks 1