RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3000
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, 

Bit of a random question here, and I know it depends on many factors such as what they are doing etc, but how many VMs have you guys comfortably ran on Gen8 with an E3-1265v2 and 16GB RAM? When did you start to see a performance hit compared to what the Gen8 is generally capable of?

Edited by E3000

Jason

I’m about to run 3 total. Most I’ve ever run. 2x Win10 VMs and 1x WS2012R2 VM. Hyper-V host has 64 GB RAM.

Trig0r

I used to run 4, depends on what the VM's do and how much RAM they need really, as you say the 16Gb limit is the killer here, thats one of the reasons I went to a self build after HP didnt give us a Gen9 and the original Gen10 was a step backwards..

E3000

It does seem like most people who start out with HP Microservers usually go onto fully fledged builds...

Trig0r

Thats not strictly true, I've built 3, one of them, that was mine ended up with drives SDM's, raid cards, CPU, Heatsink etc upgrades, but the other 2 are still rocking the stock Celerystick with 6Gb and 8Gb RAM, they both run Win10 and just run FileZilla and Plex. 

• Like 1

E3000
43 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

Thats not strictly true, I've built 3, one of them, that was mine ended up with drives SDM's, raid cards, CPU, Heatsink etc upgrades, but the other 2 are still rocking the stock Celerystick with 6Gb and 8Gb RAM, they both run Win10 and just run FileZilla and Plex. 

Plex is awesome on HP Microservers, I had forgotten all about FileZilla, thanks for reminding me 🙃 I have been wanting to get familiar with virtualisation but might end up sticking to the one OS model if isolation isn’t absolute. If a vulnerability in a VM were to be exploited would the rest of the server be exposed?

Noth

The most I've run were 13, a mix of 5xOpenBSD (which can run with as little as 192Mb of Ram), 2xLinux (Ubuntu & Centos), 1xFreeBSD, and 4xWindows Server Core 2019 and 1xWin10pro. It does get slow but it's more or less usable for most things. Win10 is just there to run the WSUS MMC so it's idle a lot, as are the Server Core VMs which do AD, Windows Admin Center and WSUS. One of the OpenBSD VMs did package building duties, which makes the rest of the VMs suffer quite a bit. Smaller VMs all got 1 vCPU, only the WSUS, Win10 and OpenBSD builder VMs had 2 or 4 depending on duties. I could run MiniDLNA for streaming, filesharing over NFS and Zabbix monitoring with it all just fine. The 1265v2 is a real necessity to get enough threads!

• Thanks 1

Trig0r
3 hours ago, E3000 said:

Plex is awesome on HP Microservers, I had forgotten all about FileZilla, thanks for reminding me 🙃 I have been wanting to get familiar with virtualisation but might end up sticking to the one OS model if isolation isn’t absolute. If a vulnerability in a VM were to be exploited would the rest of the server be exposed?

Even if you stick Win10 on there you can still run VM's on it as you can add the Hyper-V "feature" if you want to dabble..

As for an exploit being able to effect the server, depends on which exploit I should imagine, not something I've had any dealings with..

• Like 1

E3000
2 hours ago, Noth said:

The most I've run were 13, a mix of 5xOpenBSD (which can run with as little as 192Mb of Ram), 2xLinux (Ubuntu & Centos), 1xFreeBSD, and 4xWindows Server Core 2019 and 1xWin10pro. It does get slow but it's more or less usable for most things. Win10 is just there to run the WSUS MMC so it's idle a lot, as are the Server Core VMs which do AD, Windows Admin Center and WSUS. One of the OpenBSD VMs did package building duties, which makes the rest of the VMs suffer quite a bit. Smaller VMs all got 1 vCPU, only the WSUS, Win10 and OpenBSD builder VMs had 2 or 4 depending on duties. I could run MiniDLNA for streaming, filesharing over NFS and Zabbix monitoring with it all just fine. The 1265v2 is a real necessity to get enough threads!

Do all the the allocated resources need to add up to the physical resources? Is it possible for example more CPU cores than you physically have in the server?

Trig0r

Pretty sure that'd flag an error.

RAM is a different one, you can use "Dynamic" memory which gives  the VM's a set amount when you boot, but then that is freed up for other VM's to use as and when needed.  ie, you can have 4 VM's, all assigned 8Gb each even on a server thats only got 16Gb in it as the VM will boot with the 8gb, tell the OS its got 8Gb and then drop down to say 1.5Gb while its not doing stuff.  Not all OSes and app like this though and you can turn it off as well as adjust its buffer and how much it'll shrink/grow RAM usage, probably not well explained but once you've had a play you'll see what I mean.

• Thanks 1