RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

E3000
Posted (edited)

Hey guys, 

Bit of a random question here, and I know it depends on many factors such as what they are doing etc, but how many VMs have you guys comfortably ran on Gen8 with an E3-1265v2 and 16GB RAM? When did you start to see a performance hit compared to what the Gen8 is generally capable of?

Edited by E3000

Jason

I’m about to run 3 total. Most I’ve ever run. 2x Win10 VMs and 1x WS2012R2 VM. Hyper-V host has 64 GB RAM.

Trig0r

I used to run 4, depends on what the VM's do and how much RAM they need really, as you say the 16Gb limit is the killer here, thats one of the reasons I went to a self build after HP didnt give us a Gen9 and the original Gen10 was a step backwards..

E3000

It does seem like most people who start out with HP Microservers usually go onto fully fledged builds...

Trig0r

Thats not strictly true, I've built 3, one of them, that was mine ended up with drives SDM's, raid cards, CPU, Heatsink etc upgrades, but the other 2 are still rocking the stock Celerystick with 6Gb and 8Gb RAM, they both run Win10 and just run FileZilla and Plex. 

• Like 1

E3000
43 minutes ago, Trig0r said:

Thats not strictly true, I've built 3, one of them, that was mine ended up with drives SDM's, raid cards, CPU, Heatsink etc upgrades, but the other 2 are still rocking the stock Celerystick with 6Gb and 8Gb RAM, they both run Win10 and just run FileZilla and Plex. 

Plex is awesome on HP Microservers, I had forgotten all about FileZilla, thanks for reminding me 🙃 I have been wanting to get familiar with virtualisation but might end up sticking to the one OS model if isolation isn’t absolute. If a vulnerability in a VM were to be exploited would the rest of the server be exposed?

Noth

The most I've run were 13, a mix of 5xOpenBSD (which can run with as little as 192Mb of Ram), 2xLinux (Ubuntu & Centos), 1xFreeBSD, and 4xWindows Server Core 2019 and 1xWin10pro. It does get slow but it's more or less usable for most things. Win10 is just there to run the WSUS MMC so it's idle a lot, as are the Server Core VMs which do AD, Windows Admin Center and WSUS. One of the OpenBSD VMs did package building duties, which makes the rest of the VMs suffer quite a bit. Smaller VMs all got 1 vCPU, only the WSUS, Win10 and OpenBSD builder VMs had 2 or 4 depending on duties. I could run MiniDLNA for streaming, filesharing over NFS and Zabbix monitoring with it all just fine. The 1265v2 is a real necessity to get enough threads!

• Thanks 1

Trig0r
3 hours ago, E3000 said:

Plex is awesome on HP Microservers, I had forgotten all about FileZilla, thanks for reminding me 🙃 I have been wanting to get familiar with virtualisation but might end up sticking to the one OS model if isolation isn’t absolute. If a vulnerability in a VM were to be exploited would the rest of the server be exposed?

Even if you stick Win10 on there you can still run VM's on it as you can add the Hyper-V "feature" if you want to dabble..

As for an exploit being able to effect the server, depends on which exploit I should imagine, not something I've had any dealings with..

• Like 1

E3000
2 hours ago, Noth said:

The most I've run were 13, a mix of 5xOpenBSD (which can run with as little as 192Mb of Ram), 2xLinux (Ubuntu & Centos), 1xFreeBSD, and 4xWindows Server Core 2019 and 1xWin10pro. It does get slow but it's more or less usable for most things. Win10 is just there to run the WSUS MMC so it's idle a lot, as are the Server Core VMs which do AD, Windows Admin Center and WSUS. One of the OpenBSD VMs did package building duties, which makes the rest of the VMs suffer quite a bit. Smaller VMs all got 1 vCPU, only the WSUS, Win10 and OpenBSD builder VMs had 2 or 4 depending on duties. I could run MiniDLNA for streaming, filesharing over NFS and Zabbix monitoring with it all just fine. The 1265v2 is a real necessity to get enough threads!

Do all the the allocated resources need to add up to the physical resources? Is it possible for example more CPU cores than you physically have in the server?

Trig0r

Pretty sure that'd flag an error.

RAM is a different one, you can use "Dynamic" memory which gives  the VM's a set amount when you boot, but then that is freed up for other VM's to use as and when needed.  ie, you can have 4 VM's, all assigned 8Gb each even on a server thats only got 16Gb in it as the VM will boot with the 8gb, tell the OS its got 8Gb and then drop down to say 1.5Gb while its not doing stuff.  Not all OSes and app like this though and you can turn it off as well as adjust its buffer and how much it'll shrink/grow RAM usage, probably not well explained but once you've had a play you'll see what I mean.

• Thanks 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• oldwhs12
      By oldwhs12
      I have been running the WHS1 pack 3 for many years.  Unfortunately it is no longer working.  I got a Proliant microserver Gen10 hoping it will run it but was unable to install the software.  The software should run on most older PCs?

Does anyone have the WHS1 running on the Gen10?  Also my WHS1 iso is Pack 1.  If I manage to install the Pack 1 can I find on the web the upgrade to pack 3?  Would I be forever stuck at Pack 1?  Any advice would be appreciated.

• Appfillip
      By Appfillip
      Hi, Everyone But facing problem regarding My Desktop of getting randomly Blue screen and shutdown. Sometime It won't even start because as I start my CPU and it had blue screen and shut down. I don't know what should I Do but changed my RAM and I thinking to change my Motherboard.  
    • AVsonyfan
      By AVsonyfan
      All credit to schoondoggy for his original idea. A shame I am on the wrong side of the Atlantic to order an SDM kit as the import duties make it an expensive option, or would have if they were still available. I had to look around to see what alternatives I could find... and managed to find the bits needed on Amazon!

I must admit I am rather pleased with the end result of this project and may repeat it on the other Gen8 MicroServer. The outcome is a server with a mirrored system drive on the internal B120i, and the main drive bays connected to an HP P222 card providing a RAID-10 data volume. This is pretty much my ideal setup for a stable resilient but small server.

Sabrent 3.5" to x2 SSD Internal Mounting Kit (BK-HDCC)
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/32qEVou
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/3h8Blom
      The kit comes with all the cabling you need and all the required screws to mount the drives and bracket.
      Two types of power splitter cables are included along with two SATA cables. The bracket holds two SSDs and provides a small gap between them.

I mounted the bracket next to the PSU but leaving a 2-3mm gap to allow for some airflow past the SSDs in case they get warmed by the P222.

Tips:
      Put some insulating tape along the underneath of the upper chassis rail next to the PSU and drilled three small holes.
      I used two strips on to stop the drill bit from walking across the metal. Drill with a 2mm first then a 2.5mm bit. This leaves enough metal for screws to thread in.
      Check and measure each hole against the bracket as you go so that they line up. Bracket is then fixed in place using the provided screws (see photo).

The final part of the puzzle is another Mini-SAS to SATA cable the same as the one connected to the internal drive bays.
      This is an SFF-8087 Mini-SAS [male] connector to 4 SATA [female] header cables. The 50cm cable from Jyopto works great and not too much spare to lose within the system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2CXAzgb
      I could not find it on Amazon US site but there was one from CableCreations that same length.

Just need to add your choice of SSDs and cable up to B120i port.  I went with Samsung 860 Pro SSDs for the longer rated lifespan of write cycles.

I decided to forget about an internal DVD/RW drive and opted for an external HP F2B56AA slimline drive that can be plugged into the USB of either system.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/2EgSSxD
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/326uFmL

Sabrent also make a really good quality 2.5" to 3.5" bay converter adapter (BK-PCBS) that I have used in the EX490/X510 to convert from HDD to SSD system drives.
      Amazon UK - https://amzn.to/3jbYBmT
      Amazon US - https://amzn.to/335kXQz

Hopefully this information will prove useful to some looking to update their MicroServer.

• gru
      By gru
      Hi! I am planning to buy a Microserver Gen10 Plus E-2224 for a small business, and want to add as much disk space as possible. I already have the older Gen10 with 4x4TB HDDs in RAID10 (effective capacity 8TB) and a 2TB SSD in the 5th slot (which is missing on the new G10 plus). The max stated capacity on the HPE site seems to be limited with their own enterprise HDDs, so I'd like to see if I can go for bigger disks. The server would be running a sort of an application which collects lots of data from devices, and the data tends to grow over time (1-2TB per year), and I'd prefer not to worry about the capacity for the next several years.

My primary concern is the max capacity (max single drive capacity + max total RAID capacity with the Smart Array S100i) I can reliably install. If possible, some actual setup which has been shown to work with 32GB RAM and its limited 180W power supply? I was also planning on upgrading it to 32GB. If I am buying a 16GB RAM server, does this means it has both slots occupied with 8GB modules and I need a 2x32GB kit? For the os SSD, I won't have the PCIe slot available because we need to insert a certain GPS PCIe card that the server uses for time synchronization. So, if I want an SSD, this means I should use something like 1xSSD + 3xHDD in RAID5, instead of RAID10?  
      I've been planning to install 16TB Seagate Exos X16 drives, with rated max operating power at 10W (6.3W for random reads/writes). Does this seam feasible?

Thanks a lot for your tips!
    • E3000
      By E3000
      Does anyone know if it is possible to get Agentless Management Service (AMS) running on Debian/Ubuntu Linux? It is always showing as Not Available in the iLO page and I have only ever seen this active in Windows.