RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Migrate WSE12R2 from physical to virtual?

Sorry, putting this into this forum because it relates to a HPE Gen10+ exercise...

Have run WSE12R2 on a home build server since 2012. Largely for essentials client backups, file server storage and as a Plex Media Server and Blue Iris server. It’s an Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K 32 GB RAM box. Runs at approx. 20% CPU since I’ve removed HyperV from it.

Anyway, I’ve since added a HPE Gen10+ with 64 GB RAM on WS2019 with HyperV. Will be moving Blue Iris to its own Core i5-9500 16 GB RAM 9th gen box this week. May also throw PMS on this same machine as PMS use is becoming less frequent.

Objective:

- Would like to retire the old 3rd gen WSE12R2 hardware to reduce energy usage.

- Considering migrating the WSE12R2 box from physical to a HyperV VM on the Gen10+ server.

- Limiting the function of the WSE12R2 VM to the DC, DNS and client backup functions (router is DHCP server)

Has anyone successfully migrated a home windows server from physical to virtual like this?

Appreciate any experiences. Thanks.

Am going to attempt to just use the Microsoft Virtual Machine Converter app to convert the current physical WSE12R2 box directly to a Hyper-V VM on the Gen10+. In one pass. If all goes well, will retire this electricity guzzling 3rd gen Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge box altogether.