RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

External Raid 5 array as Video folder?

vinylfreak

Why would you back up a 10TB RAID array on the same machine? The array already provides fault tolerant local backup. Only other backup needed would be offsite.

Because it is Raid 0.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• vinylfreak

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

ahh I misunderstood sorry

No problem. I do a lot of video editing and needed something fast to handle 1 TB files. So I have 4 - 2 TB drives in raid 0.

One more question on a raid set up on v2. If I understand the posts by Dave and Michael correctly, if I had a 10 TB raid added to the server pool, it would break it up into 5 - 2 TB drives. However if I didn't add it to the pool it would show as 1 10 TB drive. Is this correct?

Also, I wasn't sure about the folder set up. If I set up a video folder. Is the data allowed to grow as much as I need (as long as I have enough drives in the machine) or would I have to create a new folder if I had more than 2 TB of data. If the drives show up separately, but I can map a drive, say V:\ for videos and it can grow to be larger than any one drive but not more than all the drives in the system, then DE isn't necessary. Just for further explanation of what I am talking about, v2 would have to span my data across multiple drives once I had more video data than any one drive.

This is the the way I understand that question. Yes you could have a 10TB array carved into 5 2TB volumes and perform backups on each one of those to a drive that does not contain any "folders".

Why would you back up a 10TB RAID array on the same machine? The array already provides fault tolerant local backup. Only other backup needed would be offsite.

Raid in any level is not a replacement for a backup.. to be safe you've got to duplicate that data somewhere.

Raid will protect you from a disk failure, but not accidental deletion, data corruption, ect.

Edited by tojoski

No problem. I do a lot of video editing and needed something fast to handle 1 TB files. So I have 4 - 2 TB drives in raid 0.

One more question on a raid set up on v2. If I understand the posts by Dave and Michael correctly, if I had a 10 TB raid added to the server pool, it would break it up into 5 - 2 TB drives. However if I didn't add it to the pool it would show as 1 10 TB drive. Is this correct?

Also, I wasn't sure about the folder set up. If I set up a video folder. Is the data allowed to grow as much as I need (as long as I have enough drives in the machine) or would I have to create a new folder if I had more than 2 TB of data. If the drives show up separately, but I can map a drive, say V:\ for videos and it can grow to be larger than any one drive but not more than all the drives in the system, then DE isn't necessary. Just for further explanation of what I am talking about, v2 would have to span my data across multiple drives once I had more video data than any one drive.

Just to clarify. A 10T array will be a 10T array and not get chopped up if it is already created. If you add it prior to partition, it will chop it up. An array should be created and partitioned using the disk managment from windows/server 2008/whs 2011 and not using the dashboard. You can backup to an array, but you can not back it up to another drive. You will have to use a sync program or other means to protect you data especially a RAID stripe.

Absolutely correct about using the Computer Mgt applet. And I think that you can only have four (4) logical volumes on that one drive so in your case you might want 3x2 TB and 1x4 TB so you could at least backup the three 2TB partitions.

Did someone say "Home" Server????????????????

Just to clarify. A 10T array will be a 10T array and not get chopped up if it is already created. If you add it prior to partition, it will chop it up. An array should be created and partitioned using the disk managment from windows/server 2008/whs 2011 and not using the dashboard. You can backup to an array, but you can not back it up to another drive. You will have to use a sync program or other means to protect you data especially a RAID stripe.

Thanks for the response. Can you, or anyone, answer the question below.