• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Dave

• vinylfreak

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• jmwills

So, if I had two 10 TM RAID arrays, would I then be able to back it up?

Two 10TB RAID arrays on WHS 2011? 2011 will only back up a 2TB Volume but maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

No, I made the mistake of leaving that fact out of the discussion. The way to backup/sync anything larger than 2TB would be to use RoboCopy on a scheduled task.

Two 10TB RAID arrays on WHS 2011? 2011 will only back up a 2TB Volume but maybe I'm misunderstanding the question.

I was questioning if backing up 2 TB is the max regardless of anything else in the system or if you could back up any size drive (ie a 10 TB raid set up) as long as there was another drive (this is where the 2nd 10 TB raid set up comes in) that was the same size or larger.

No, I made the mistake of leaving that fact out of the discussion. The way to backup/sync anything larger than 2TB would be to use RoboCopy on a scheduled task.

Thanks for answering that my second 10 TB system could not be used to back up the first 10 TB system. Okay, enough hypotheticals. I just need to work on setting up a test server. But that will be some time from now.

So let me make sure I understand this correctly.

I can create a 10 TB Raid "Video Folder".

WHS 2011 will recognize it as a 10 TB volume.

WHS 2011 backup is limited to no more than 2 TB chunks.

Is that correct??

2 TB Volumes. It will not take 2TB out of your array and back that up unless you have it divided into 2TB volumes and drive letters assigned to each 2TB volume.

Say I build a box with a 10TB Raid 5 array. If I connect this external Raid 5 array to my WHS 2011 through USB3 or E-Sata, would I be able to dedicate the array as my Video Folder? Is there a performance downside to doing this?

Check out this post as may touch on what you are asking. I was after a similar quest.

http://homeservershow.com/adding-raid-to-whs-2011.html

So, if I had two 10 TM RAID arrays, would I then be able to back it up?

Why would you back up a 10TB RAID array on the same machine? The array already provides fault tolerant local backup. Only other backup needed would be offsite.

Why would you back up a 10TB RAID array on the same machine? The array already provides fault tolerant local backup. Only other backup needed would be offsite.

I have no intention of backing up the 10TB Raid5 Video folder.

I just wanted to make sure WHS 2011 would recognize it as a 10TB folder, connected externally.

I have the physical discs as a backup.