RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

ESXi 7.0 and HPE Smart Array S100i

Zbyszek L

Hi Guys, my Microserver Gen10 Plus has just arrived.  😎

I switch CPU from Pentium to Xeon but esxi doesn't see the raid storage.

I can read in HPE manual that there is a HPE Smart Array S100i which is software raid ;-(

Is there any way to use this raid under esxi or should I buy another raid card

Bzzjh

HPE Smart Array S100i just was supported windows

From HPE doc:

Software RAID HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 Software RAID

NOTE: HPE Smart Array S100i SR Gen10 SW RAID will operate in UEFI mode only.

For legacy support an additional controller will be needed

NOTE: The S100i only supports Windows. For Linux users, HPE offers a solution that uses in-distro open-source software to create a two-disk RAID 1 boot volume. For more information visit: https://downloads.linux.hpe.com/SDR/project/lsrrb/

coldmum

I just got my Gen10 Plus yesterday and realized the S100i SR doesn't support ESXi...

Any suggestion of Raid controller for Gen10+? Would like to get a cheap Raid controller instead of getting e208i-p on the official support list which is very pricey...

Jason

I've read the challenges with these RAID controllers is they are power hungry and G10+ has a power budget of 180W max (which you want to stay well below).

demiurg

S-class controllers currently doesn`t support VMware (ESXi). See here.

Having said that: Have you tried out whether it is possible to start ESXi from the internal USB port? This may work!

On 5/27/2020 at 7:26 PM, Zbyszek L said:

manual

87296962_esxisclass.thumb.jpg.de60edab81bae279a27017d9813de87b.jpg

demiurg

@Zbyszek L So you checked and ESXi 7.0 works when booting from the internal USB2 port?
You can use that method permanently if you feel comfortable, as a separated ESXi makes sometimes sense for several reasons (e.g. maximize internal storage for data, separate data and ESXI etc.). A pitty there is no internal SD card slot though.

Jason

I’ve never successfully run ESXi. Is it possible to move Hyper-V VHDXs to ESXi? Hyper-V just works.

Server-Doh
On 6/14/2020 at 7:57 PM, demiurg said:

@Zbyszek L So you checked and ESXi 7.0 works when booting from the internal USB2 port?
You can use that method permanently if you feel comfortable, as a separated ESXi makes sometimes sense for several reasons (e.g. maximize internal storage for data, separate data and ESXI etc.). A pitty there is no internal SD card slot though.

Yes, ESXi 7 (the HPE one) can be booted from the internal USB port and use a portable ssd device via the USB 3.1 port as the datastore (after some standard tweaks).

• Like 1
silkie

Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading to these gen10plus micro servers. 

I wan't to run ESXi. I was hoping that once bootling from USB I'll still be able to used the HPE Smart Array S100i to use the internal bays to mount non RAID'd JBOD type disks and present them DS's. I'd like to save the internal PCIe for another use over wasting it on another HBA.

Can anyone confirm this yet?

sandwern
1 hour ago, silkie said:

Hi, I'm thinking about upgrading to these gen10plus micro servers. 

I wan't to run ESXi. I was hoping that once bootling from USB I'll still be able to used the HPE Smart Array S100i to use the internal bays to mount non RAID'd JBOD type disks and present them DS's. I'd like to save the internal PCIe for another use over wasting it on another HBA.

Can anyone confirm this yet?

Hi,

I am using ESXi 7.0, which booting from MicroSD. S100i not working under ESXi (no locations for datastore found). I think, It is necessary to use disrete PCIe controller.

https://communities.vmware.com/thread/611059