RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Sign in to follow this  
skipcox

Contemplating A New Build

skipcox

I want to build a new home server using a quad socket xeon E-5 4600 motherboard. I know it’s overkill, but I just want to do it.

I will be using it to back up 5 machines with no virtual machines and no domain joined machines. Basically, I want it to function like a WHS 2011 server or a Windows Server 2016 Essentials server using the skipdomainjoin script. (I have a single socket machine running Win Serve 2016 Essentials with the skipdomainjoin script now).

My question is what software can I use to run it. I know I can’t use any Windows Server essentials because they only support two processors. It looks like Windows Server 2016 Standard is out of the question due to the core server and CAL licenses. I thought about Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard as they on charge for the number of processors, not cores.

I would also like to know how many Server/Client Cals i would need for Win Serve 2012 R2 and Win Serve 2016.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Skip

Trig0r

Whats stopping you running a desktop OS, say Win10, and then just have a data drive that the machines back up to with something like Veeam?

JackoUK

Sounds like Windows Pro for Workstations will be a good fit for you.

Features:

- 4 CPUs

- ReFS with additional data integrity checking

- Storage Spaces with automatic data rebuilding of failed disks (needs lots of disks to be effective though) 

- SMB multichannel to combine multiple network connections for bandwidth and resilience.

- increased session limit (not sure: 40 instead of Pro's 20?)

Probably half the cost of a Server license and no CALS or such stuff.

skipcox

Thanks for the win 10 solutions. I did not realize there was such a version.

skipcox

Is there a piece or pieces of software that can backup my client computers and the server itself similar to what 2016 essentials does?

Trig0r

Yeah theres a free Veeam product, cant remember the name off of the top of my head at the mo, though, backup and replication or something I think they changed the name too recently..

Al_Borges

In the past,  I have used Acronis Products and , while not free are pretty reasonably priced.  They work well

Al_Borges
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

In the past,  I have used Acronis Products and , while not free are pretty reasonably priced.  They work well

I will have to amend my comment -     For 2020,  Acronis  has switched to a "yearly" subscription model.   At $50 USD per year  for a single computer for personal use,   I no longer think this is reasonably priced.     It may be worth it for some  and its considerably discounted for multiple computers  

Edited by Al_Borges

TomP
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Al_Borges said:

Acronis  has switched to a "yearly" subscription model.   At $50 USD per year  for a single computer for personal use,   I no longer think this is reasonably priced.     It may be worth it for some  and its considerably discounted for multiple computers  

I bought upgrade 5-user licences for GBP £50 over several years, finishing with 2019.

Reviews of ATI 2020 seem to say it is not worth the update and recovery media seem to have to change every time there is a s/w update which is a big NO for me.

Fortunately I was pointed to a much simpler "MVP Custom PE Builder" tool which seems to work with many earlier versions (plus Win 7 & 10 clients) and was much easier to set up, especially if a USB external HDD is used. There was excellent help for me to understand what to do step by step in this thread...

https://forum.acronis.com/comment/538834#comment-538834

I am happy to stick with ATI2019 which will receive no more updates

Edited by TomP
accidentally hit save before I was finished