RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen10+ Anyone got one yet?

Trig0r

I don't because I have both, I think out of the box the Gen10 Plus is probably quieter than the Gen8, idling mine is probably slightly louder (because I have additional fans for cooling the NVMe drives) but its still perfectly pleasant in a home office space. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Anyone try the HP kit HP 32GB 1X32GB DDR4-2666 ECC Unbuffered Smart Buy PN:6FR92AT? I ordered some will update once installed found each stick for 140usd.

PN:6FR92AT HP part works great. 64gb ram. Also installed the Synology 10g dual NVME card E310M20-T1 with some cutting of the card and heatsink fits and works fine with esxi 7.0 once enabling bifurcation in bios. Gets pretty warm but works in cold room. Currently with a Samsung enterprise 1.7tb NVME drive. As well as the HP usb dual SD-Card 8gb stick for Gen 10 servers which I couldn’t find any info if it was supported to boot off of.

6EF71917-A30C-4369-BB26-4A9BDBE813FE.jpeg

7C838508-D955-4097-BC71-DC7953F90E60.jpeg

Edited by Nikon331

I see a lot of people here already have Gen10 Plus. Have no problem with SATA AHCI write speed? I've tried ESXi and Proxmox, the write speed does not exceed 50MB/s. Moreover, when I tested proxmox, the recording stopped at 74GB even at this low speed. I am very disappointed with the Gen10 Plus after the experience of using Gen7 and Gen10 which never had such problems.

• 1 month later...

Finally lost patience with Gen10 and Gen10+. for my usage there's far too much intial setup and maintenance involved when allied with the cost of them and HP locking firmware updates behind a valid warranty was the last straw.

I bit the bullet and sold all my Microservers which paid for a good chunk of my new Synology NAS. Half a day to set up by transferring one disk at a time from the HP and copying over data. I have a Intel NUC running VMware ESX for the couple of VMs that I  need and everything else (file shares, cloud backups, Plex, Ubiquiti, PiHole runs off the Synology with no issues at all.

Now I'm back to enjoying setting up my Home Automation/CCTV instead of spending all my time sorting out issues with my NAS and rebooting it every month for updates.

I do miss the simplicity of the Gen8, but then got bored waiting for a replacement, built my own box and I've not heard or seen anything compelling to make me want a Gen10/+..

Replaced with an iTX build based on an x570 chipset and Ryzen 3400G, 32Gb RAM, all stock components in a Fractal Design Node 304 case..

Micro servers were fun while they lasted, but now they just aren't targeted in the same direction, imho of course..

1 hour ago, Trig0r said:

I do miss the simplicity of the Gen8, but then got bored waiting for a replacement, built my own box and I've not heard or seen anything compelling to make me want a Gen10/+..

Replaced with an iTX build based on an x570 chipset and Ryzen 3400G, 32Gb RAM, all stock components in a Fractal Design Node 304 case..

Micro servers were fun while they lasted, but now they just aren't targeted in the same direction, imho of course..

Looks like you are very satisfied with building your own server so the Microserver is not for you. The Microserver is a fine server with lots of power, high quality, neat design, ILO and all that.

But you’re right, that it’s more of a business server with a fairly fixed configuration rather than the old gen8’s tinker-friendly machine.

Still a nice server though. But the home server people does not have a nice option today compared to what we’ve been used to in the past.

I just set up a Microserver with Win 2019 as a remote office DC.

It was a pleasant experience by all means. But then again - best for business and not the home server people.

IMO.

Have a great day.

Bjorn

If I had been able to get a Gen9, if they had done one, then I might have stuck to the Microserver, but HP's lack of movement is what pushed me down the road of a self build, 16Gb RAM limit is what did it mainly...

But yes, certainly more a SMB device than a home device and no sign of the old huge discounts we used to see on them..