RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen10+ Anyone got one yet?

Jason

Have a Gen10 Plus, new iMac 27 Core i5 and new Dell Optiplex Core i5-9500 all running off same UPS. Only peaking at 160W combined. Gen10 Plus PSU alone is only capable of 180W max.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Trig0r

• binky

• GarethC

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the go to link you need with a tonne of information in for all things Gen10 Plus.    https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-ultimate-customization-guide/

Decided to buy one. Also saw ILO advanced keys are available free from HP for 2020.   Got this card. Couldn’t find one that allowed 2 x M.2 NVMe SSD drives though:   SilverStone Technology M.2 PCIE A

As this server supports PCIe bifurcation, I think I would try one of these for dual NVMe: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SLG3-2M2.php

Jason

Also running 64 GB RAM non-ECC. Working great. Never ran ECC before. Glad this doesn’t require it. What is the benefit?

Noth
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Jason said:

Also running 64 GB RAM non-ECC. Working great. Never ran ECC before. Glad this doesn’t require it. What is the benefit?

Well it prevents in memory data corruption. Also it's required for ZFS to operate properly. Being without ECC is a risk if you're doing server work, but YMMV as equipment is a bit more reliable these days. Call it a checkbox on most sysadmins' list of requirements.

Edited by Noth
GarethC

I'm going to start putting money aside to do a build for my new home server in December.  I'll be going for the base model putting in an E-2246G, 64GB RAM and transferring my drives over from my Gen8 before probably offloading my two Gen8s but I'll keep my ML110 G7 as my backup as its got my LTO drive. 

• Like 1
  • 3 months later...

Where can one find a Xeon E-2246G CPU at this point?  Considered throwing one in my Gen10 Plus.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:29 AM, GarethC said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Intel-Xeon-E-2246G-processor-3-6-GHz-12-MB-Intel/154128228231?hash=item23e2c21f87:g:6IsAAOSwBqpffwxe

Few and far between, I ended up getting one off eBay. That's the first I've seen for sale in ages, the last one was nearly 3 times the price.  

Thanks. I may have located an E-2246G Xeon CPU locally.  How significant a performance improvement is it?  And how difficult a swap was it?

Edited by Jason
GarethC
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Thanks. I may have located an E-2246G Xeon CPU locally.  How significant a performance improvement is it?  And how difficult a swap was it?

Easy swap, very impressive and i think the perfect combo for the server in terms of capability without compromising the ability to add HDDs/NVMes etc also. 

Easy swap, very impressive and i think the perfect combo for the server in terms of capability without compromising the ability to add HDDs/NVMes etc also. 

Thanks. I’ve since ordered one from an online dealer though it was a direct ship from Intel so it could be another 4 weeks before received. Snagged some Arctic Silver MX4 also.
  • Like 1