RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Gen10+ Anyone got one yet?

On 6/10/2020 at 11:06 PM, Jason said:

Gen10+ accepts non-ECC RAM. Am running 64 GB without issue.

@Jason which ram modules are you using?

I’m ordering the gen10+ tomorrow and have ram on order to make 32GB but I might quickly find that’s a limitation so was wondering which ram modules you used to get 64GB and whether you’re running them with a Xeon cpu?

Thanks,

Binky

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Jason

• Trig0r

• binky

• Juggy

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the go to link you need with a tonne of information in for all things Gen10 Plus.    https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-ultimate-customization-guide/

Decided to buy one. Also saw ILO advanced keys are available free from HP for 2020.   Got this card. Couldn’t find one that allowed 2 x M.2 NVMe SSD drives though:   SilverStone Technology M.2 PCIE A

As this server supports PCIe bifurcation, I think I would try one of these for dual NVMe: https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SLG3-2M2.php

@Jason which ram modules are you using?

I’m ordering the gen10+ tomorrow and have ram on order to make 32GB but I might quickly find that’s a limitation so was wondering which ram modules you used to get 64GB and whether you’re running them with a Xeon cpu?

Thanks,
Binky

Binky, these are confirmed working in stock Gen10+ with Intel Xeon E-2224:

Crucial 64GB Kit (32GBx2) DDR4... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07ZLDCYYS?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Thanks for the quick response 👍

Looking in UK Amazon for CT2K32G4DFD8266, I get this which is SODIMM so not quite right...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Crucial-CT2K32G4SFD8266-SODIMM-260-Pin-Memory/dp/B07ZLCC6J8/

I will check them out if 32GB is not enough... although I might end up getting a second server and build that one with 64GB

Appreciate the info, thanks 😎

You bet! I originally bought a second HP ECC UDIMM for 32 GB of ECC. But it was quite expensive. Cancelled it.

Then bought 32 GB non-ECC Crucial UDIMM matched pair before realizing the system would support up to 64 GB. So I returned those after confirming they also work.

At moment, I have the G10+ running 64 GB RAM, 1x NVMe 500 GB boot disk on PCIe card, 1x Samsung EVO 1 TB SSD for Hyper-V VMs exclusively, 1x Seagate Ironwolf 12 TB HDD and 2x Seagate Ironwolf 10 TB HDD. It’s maxed out and running great. Don’t plan to touch it again.

It’s hosting 3 VMs: 2x Win10 64bit each with 4 vCores and 6 GB vRAM and 1x WSE12R2 with 4 vCores and 4 GB vRAM. And all 3 systems have more resources than are even being utilized.

Also, this system is barely hitting 12 GB of RAM use let alone 16 GB or even 64 GB.

The box I usually use at work has 256GB of RAM so I bought a reconditioned version of the same box with 128GB of RAM but it’s expensive to run, heats the room up tremendously and is noisy, so I’m wanting to build a smaller but still quite powerful box I can use and only turn the big box on when I’m working with data that’s too big for the Gen10+ 👍

ordered a PCIe card I can put my 2TB NVMe drive onto for boot then a couple of 14TB Hard Drives for data (all encrypted) and I should be good to go for a while with 2 slots free for more Hard Drives if needed 🤔

That’s a serious machine. 64 GB is most RAM I’ve ever had in a home lab . Not anticipating needing or using most of it any time soon.

Ironically I had an Intel Core i5 Ivy Bridge 3570K with 32 GB RAM and many hard drives running since 2012 running Windows Server Essentials 2012 R2. Mostly for client computer backups and file storage. So I’ve since virtualized it onto the Gen10+, moving majority of functionality to other more energy efficient physical and virtual hosts here at home.

Not only are they silent, but they’re much smaller taking up almost no space, they use far less energy and therefore generate a fraction of the heat.

25 minutes ago, Jason said:

That’s a serious machine. 64 GB is most RAM I’ve ever had

if I could have ordered one with 512GB I would 🤷‍♂️

some customers have models that would consume all 512GB when calculating as well as 64 CPU cores, so sometimes I need to debug their models and I NEED a big box to do that... or 4 months 🤦‍♂️

• Like 1