RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Gen10+ Anyone got one yet?

Juggy
3 hours ago, Jason said:

Decided to buy one. Also saw ILO advanced keys are available free from HP for 2020.

Got this card. Couldn’t find one that allowed 2 x M.2 NVMe SSD drives though:

SilverStone Technology M.2 PCIE Adapter for SATA or PCIE NVMe SSD with Advanced Thermal Solution (ECM22) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZNWS9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cqj0Eb8MDNN8S

This QNap card looks very good as well

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CT8WHJL/ref=dp_cerb_1

Trig0r

I thought iLO on these was a card and a key?

JackoUK

Most likely HP have judged the business market for small servers correctly ... but I think enthusiasts are looking for something bigger: at least 8 data bays, NVME OS/APP. drive and 10G networking. I can see some options for very large  DIY storage builds materialising soon.

1. On the INTEL front the ASUS ProArt Z490 Creator motherboard has both Thunderbolt and 10G features, combine that with a low power CPU such as the 6 core i5-10500T (also providing graphics) and one has a good base for an 8 or 16 data disk storage server.

2. The ASROCK X470D4U2-2T motherboard is a possibility too. No Thunderbolt but a RYZEN 5 2400G CPU might do the trick. Better still if we could use the rumoured Ryzen 7 4000 series CPU's with 6 and 8 cores (will they be OEM only chips?).

3. Those two options will require one or two 8 port HBA's to service the data drives but for an even bigger base something like the GIGABYTE MZ01-CE0 motherboard with inbuilt 16 SATA ports and an EPYC 7252 CPU. Getting expensive now!

My interest in such large builds has been stimulated by Fractal Design's new case, the Define 7 XL.

https://www.fractal-design.com/products/cases/define/define-7-xl/black/

One look at the graphics with all those disks and I knew at once how I was going to replace my existing 4 HP Microservers!

Edited by JackoUK

Jason

@jackoUK ironically I've running an older Fractal Define XL full tower case now from way back.  It's gone thru a series of phases with 8 x 3 TB WD Reds in RAID5.  Currently running an Intel Ivy Bridge Core i5-3570K with 32 GB RAM and WSE12R2 (Essentials).  Mostly used for Windows client backups, file server storage, Plex Media Server (direct, no remote transcoding) and Blue Iris for IP cameras and a couple Hyper-V VMs for some simple utility tasks, testing, etc.  It takes up quite a bit of room in a closet, uses more power than it should and, as such, gives off some heat and isn't silent.

My motivation for moving to a HPE Gen10 Plus is entirely the opposite -- to shrink the footprint, reduce noise and power consumption and finally get ILO.  Tired of running up and down stairs handling the server box; looking forward to not doing that anymore.  Am still leaning toward Windows Server 2016 Essentials since it's newer, based on Win10 and contains the client backup feature I've used (not sure whether client backup history can be migrated from WSE12R2 to WSE16?).  WSE19 has been stripped of any real home benefit for me.

Trig0r

I'm running a Fractal Node 804, I want smaller, so if anything larger capacity drives in a Gen10+ sized unit, stacking them to give 8 drives in a Gen10+ would have been cool at though, anyone got a 3d printer lol

Jason

What OS are you running on your G10+? Thinking I should repurpose my current WSE12R2 Core i5 for Blue Iris since it supports Intel QuickSync. Prob remove essentials role from it so it’s not a DC and AD controller.