RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Trig0r

Gen10+ Anyone got one yet?

Trig0r

The Rona lockdown boredom is really kicking in now, I've thought about upgrading my PC, but given I only did that in February, doing it again seems a bit pointless, especially given new Zen 3 CPU's are coming soonish, as are new GPU's from AMD and NVidia..

So, I find my attention being drawn to the server...

My existing server is built around the Node 804, so isnt small.

I've got an i5-3470, 32Gb RAM, 4x3.5" drives, 2x2.5" drives and a quad port NIC..

So, the 10+ comes with 4 NIC ports anyway, so I wont need a card for that, but I'm thinking that I wont get all of my drives in, specifically the 2x2.5" SSD's that I use currently, one for the OS and one as VM storage.

So, has anyone actually got hands on one of these things yet and can confirm that we're gonna be stuck for internal space to hide drives like we could on the Gen8?

schoondoggy

I do not have one, but most review I have read bemoan the fact that there are no spare SATA ports or M.2 slots on the system board. The BIOS does appear to support bifurcation so you should be able run two NVMe drives on a fairly cheap card that has no PCIe switch: https://www.servethehome.com/hpe-proliant-microserver-gen10-plus-ultimate-customization-guide/3/

Trig0r

Ok, so given I'm not needing to use a PCI-e card for NIC's anymore I could drop some sort of SSD in there using a card, are they bootable?

If they are then I could get a smaller drive for boot and then the larger one for VM's to sit on...

Obviously I'd like to reuse as much as possible, but its looking like just the 3.5" drives are going to be swapped over and then everything else replaced..

Juggy
Posted (edited)

I have one, got the 16GB ram, Xeon 2224 version. Put in a cheapish NVMe card and a 512GB Samsung PM981 NVMe SSD for OS (works perfectly), trunked 2 of the network ports LACP style for 2gbps throughput. Also have 4 x 10TB Ironwolf drives in software RAID 0 (no need for data protection as it is mainly media that is replicate externally).

I cannot for the life of me get the shared ILO working. Been a Dell guy for over 20 years and their IDRAC is much easier to use.

A really nice little device albeit it a bit pricey

Edited by Juggy

Jason
I have one, got the 16GB ram, Xeon 2224 version. Put in a cheapish NVMe card and a 512GB Samsung PM981 NVMe SSD for OS (works perfectly), trunked 2 of the network ports LACP style for 2gbps throughput. Also have 4 x 10TB Ironwolf drives in software RAID 0 (no need for data protection as it is mainly media that is replicate externally).

I cannot for the life of me get the shared ILO working. Been a Dell guy for over 20 years and their IDRAC is much easier to use.

A really nice little device albeit it a bit pricey

Thinking of buying one. On fence. Would like to retire my large full tower Core i5 Ivy Bridge box. Already have 2 x 10 TB Iron Wolfs running on an LSI card in IT mode. Current system has : 2 Iron Wolfs, 1 SSD OS, 1 SSD For VMs and 1 WD Purple for IP cameras. Too many drives for this Gen 10 Plus. Any ideas?

Also does it support Intel Virtualization for using Hyper-V VMs?

Juggy
5 hours ago, Jason said:

Thinking of buying one. On fence. Would like to retire my large full tower Core i5 Ivy Bridge box. Already have 2 x 10 TB Iron Wolfs running on an LSI card in IT mode. Current system has : 2 Iron Wolfs, 1 SSD OS, 1 SSD For VMs and 1 WD Purple for IP cameras. Too many drives for this Gen 10 Plus. Any ideas?

Also does it support Intel Virtualization for using Hyper-V VMs?

If one or both of the SSD'd is NVMe you could buy a $20 PCIe card and stick both SSD's in the PCIe slot. Install the 3 HDD's in the regular slots and you still have one free. Alternatively a USB 3.1 DAS or multi-drive dock could solve that problem.

It does support Intel Virtualisation.

I was talking to a friend of mine about the layout the other day and if HPE had kept the same size as the Gen 10 and slapped in 8 drive bays flat like the 10 Plus this would have been an almost perfect device. Swap the 4 x 1GB NIC's for 2x2.5GB or 2x10GB, even better and a SATA6 header onboard would have been the cherry on top.

While it is a fantastic device I do think HPE missed a few crucial tricks on the product.

Jason

Decided to buy one. Also saw ILO advanced keys are available free from HP for 2020.

Got this card. Couldn’t find one that allowed 2 x M.2 NVMe SSD drives though:

SilverStone Technology M.2 PCIE Adapter for SATA or PCIE NVMe SSD with Advanced Thermal Solution (ECM22) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZNWS9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cqj0Eb8MDNN8S

• Like 1

schoondoggy
50 minutes ago, Jason said:

Decided to buy one. Also saw ILO advanced keys are available free from HP for 2020.

SilverStone Technology M.2 PCIE Adapter for SATA or PCIE NVMe SSD with Advanced Thermal Solution (ECM22) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZNWS9Y/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_cqj0Eb8MDNN8S

As this server supports PCIe bifurcation, I think I would try one of these for dual NVMe:

https://www.supermicro.com/en/products/accessories/addon/AOC-SLG3-2M2.php

• Like 1

Juggy
2 hours ago, Jason said:

Where do you get the ILO advanced key for free?