RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
nrf

so what type of power event causes this?

nrf

Yesterday I got a rude awakening at 4am when the UPS in my bedroom started beeping. so far I have identified the following symptoms:

• 4 different breakers were tripped
  • 2 GFCI devices tripped on two different circuits
  • 2 LED lights on two different circuits burned out and blew the covers off (retrofit LED Downlight)
  • one (old) UPS stopped working

I have a "strikestop" whole home protector and its LED is still lit

any ideas? haunted house?

Trig0r

Haunted House, deffo, take off and nuke it from space, just to be sure..

oj88
Posted (edited)

Without having a detailed diagram of the house circuit and drilling it down to the specific broken appliances/devices and where they are in the circuit, we can only speculate about what happened.

My money is on overvoltage (not a spike). If it were a spike, the whole-house surge suppression would've tripped. 

APC has a nice write-up covering all types of power problems here: https://download.schneider-electric.com/files?p_Doc_Ref=SPD_VAVR-5WKLPK_EN

Overvoltage conditions can create high current draw and cause the unnecessary tripping of downstream circuit breakers, as well as overheating and putting stress on equipment.

You can check with your neighbors if they encountered broken appliances and/or tripped breakers. If they did, the problem is likely to have come from the utility and not from within your home.

Does your surviving UPS keep logs of what happened that might give you a clue? My UPS keeps a log with a timestamp of the reason why it switched to batteries (ie. self-test, low input voltage, transient events, blackouts, etc.)

Edited by oj88
  • Thanks 1

nrf
Posted (edited)

issues were all over the map - gfci trip downstairs out of main box, gfci trip out of attic sub-panel, 4 breakers tripped in main box, lights in different circuits in main box. (I didn't record which breakers as I was in a hurry to get the noise level down etc.) I don't talk to the neighbors :( and the power company is clueless.

good idea for the logs. according to apcupsd.events there was a 7-second loss of power as seen at the attic sub-panel. I'm not sure if the software fully discloses everything a APC SMT3000 would say, though. I do know that most power losses are followed by surges, I guess I will just blame it on Duke.

shrugging it off and hoping it doesn't happen again...

Edited by nrf
provided ups data

nrf
Posted (edited)

so finding an additional source of data, I just have to chart it... this is why I believe most home UPSes just need enough battery time to be able to shut stuff down in the event of a long duration outage; it doesn't take much time for most glitches to failover/recover but they are long enough to cause aggravation if you don't believe in UPSes...

image.thumb.png.5b0f3b8ec9a6e8ea42baf763a5cfbc57.png

Edited by nrf