RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
rgunther

WD Black drive in Synology NAS?

rgunther

Curious how any of you would feel about using a 5TB WD Black drive that's previously been hosting DVR storage in the Synology? I figure I'll bump up my DVR storage with one of these Red SMRs I bought, which leaves me with the old Black drive. Anything know of any issues using those in a NAS?

schoondoggy

What model Synology? What RAID are you planning to run?

It would be good to check Synology's approved drive list. The first potential concern I would have, if you run RAID5 or RAID6, most hardware RAID controllers expect to see drives that support TLER, time limited error recovery. Synology RAID is not hardware controller based and I do not see any reference to requiring TLER drives. It is likely, the WD Black will work fine.

Trig0r

Whats the airflow like in the Synology, I've seen WDBlacks hit 50oC in a Gen8 microserver..

rgunther

First off, thanks for the advice to check the list. It's not on the list. (Neither is are the wonky SMR 6TB Reds I have, either, but I wasn't plan on trying one of those in this thing.)

Second...please don't hate me for using SHR(2). 😬 I'm fairly unsophisticated when it comes to disk management, so I'm not opposed to using a proprietary solution designed to make my life easier. (see: earlier drobo posts)

Anyway, looks like I'll be scrounging around for some new drives!

schoondoggy
8 hours ago, rgunther said:

First off, thanks for the advice to check the list. It's not on the list. (Neither is are the wonky SMR 6TB Reds I have, either, but I wasn't plan on trying one of those in this thing.)

Second...please don't hate me for using SHR(2). 😬 I'm fairly unsophisticated when it comes to disk management, so I'm not opposed to using a proprietary solution designed to make my life easier. (see: earlier drobo posts)

Anyway, looks like I'll be scrounging around for some new drives!

No RAID shaming here, SHR-2 works great!