RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Possible drive removal issue

JediTim

OK. Now that I isolated the issue with one of my drive being too slow, 3MB/sec transfer speed on a 98% full drive, I decided to add two 1.5TB drives I had to the pool and remove the offending drive.

After installing the two drives (WD EADS) I checked their speeds with HD Tach and they both were performing around 90-100MB/sec. I then added them to the pool which was now showing over 3TB of available space. I went into the console to remove the drive and the process started with no issues. I let the process run overnight and before I left for work this morning I checked the status...same as last night (the bar was up the the "e" above the word several...not sure where it was last night though. The status bar had not even moved up past one quarter of the way.

Questions I have:

1. How long can this take? I'm aware that the drive was initially very slow but this seems too long.

2. What if it just hangs and doesn't stop?

3. Can I break the process? How?

4. Will I lose data? Most of the folders are duplicated except videos?

Thanks, Tim

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• usacomp2k3

• dvn

• ikon

• JediTim

Top Posters In This Topic

If you have 2 TB of data and it s transferring at 3 MB/s then it is going to take a long, long time.

2TB * 1048576 MB/TB / 3MB/s / 60 s/min / 60 min/hr = 194 hours or 8 days

If you have 2 TB of data and it s transferring at 3 MB/s then it is going to take a long, long time.

Ouch...guess I just need to hold tight and see what happens in a day or two. Sadly I can't access any of my data until this is resolved :(

If you had everything duplicated you could just yank the drive...not recommending that though.

Sadly I have a lot of DVD / BluRay Media rips that I don't duplicate and don't have a copy of on an external drive either. Hopefully it is just going slow and will be done removing the drive without issues...even if it is a couple of days. I really don't feel like going through the hassle of figuring out which DVD’s missing and then uploading them again.

As long as the progress bar moves by the time I get home tonight and continues to move I will be happy.

I seem to recall someone else having a similar issue when they realized that their external hard drive was plugged in via USB1 instead of USB2 and was poking along at the full 11mb/sec instead of 480mbps. Took something like 3 days to remove the drive.

Wow...this really is going to be the case. There is movement on the progress bar...since 5:30AM today to 7:00PM now the status bar moved from the 2nd "E" in several to the "O" in hours. Based on the status bar (I actually measure the screen) the process is a little over 20% completed which means this is going to take probably around 4 more days to complete. I just hope this does actually complete.

Tim

Wow...this really is going to be the case. There is movement on the progress bar...since 5:30AM today to 7:00PM now the status bar moved from the 2nd "E" in several to the "O" in hours. Based on the status bar (I actually measure the screen) the process is a little over 20% completed which means this is going to take probably around 4 more days to complete. I just hope this does actually complete.

Tim

If this drive is connected via SATA then I'm going to suggest that it has problems, likely sector reading issues. If you have a copy of SpinRite, and a spare computer, I suggest you run it against the slow drive.

I've got a WD EARS 1.5TB green (with jumper) being SpinRited right now. Acronis Drive Monitor indicated its health was only 30%. A 2nd 1.5TB is showing 72% health so it will be next. It takes about 8-9 days to SpinRite a 1.5TB drive, assuming there's nothing drastically wrong.

Are your drives Greens? I'm beginning to notice a pattern. It seems my WD Green drives show problems a lot more often than other drives. I'm beginning to wonder if Green drives are 'seconds' that won't pass as Blue or Black and are therefore more subject to failure. I know they're cheap but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.

Are your drives Greens? I'm beginning to notice a pattern. It seems my WD Green drives show problems a lot more often than other drives. I'm beginning to wonder if Green drives are 'seconds' that won't pass as Blue or Black and are therefore more subject to failure. I know they're cheap but I'm starting to wonder if it's worth it.

That's what I've heard, that Green drives may use platters that don't quite come up to Black or Blue standards. Maybe that's just a rumor, but somehow I can believe it.

If this drive is connected via SATA then I'm going to suggest that it has problems, likely sector reading issues. If you have a copy of SpinRite, and a spare computer, I suggest you run it against the slow drive.

I've got a WD EARS 1.5TB green (with jumper) being SpinRited right now. Acronis Drive Monitor indicated its health was only 30%. A 2nd 1.5TB is showing 72% health so it will be next. It takes about 8-9 days to SpinRite a 1.5TB drive, assuming there's nothing drastically wrong.

Yes...it is connected to a SATA port but it is an Advanced Format drive and it doesn't have a jumper on pins 7-8, however, one of the other drives is also AF and that was showing around 7-MB/sec versus the 3-4MB/sec this one is showing. I am still removing the drive which is a painfully slow process. At the current rate I expect it to be completed somewhere between Tuesday and Wednesday...5 days. I plan on using this drive afterwards as a backup to the server if I can check on the health of the drive and if placing a pin on 7/8 helps.

Tim