RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Laptop help?

deboots

My wife wants a new laptop. She needs a performance laptop mainly, 17" display and she wants to spend around $1,000.

I was very interested in the new Sandy Bridge processors for laptops, but I'm guessing the price is going to push me outside the budget. Plus with the recall in effect now, who knows when this will all correct itself? Should I consider one of the prior model processors? Also, if I was to target one of the Core I7 laptop processors, will it be bad to have my memory in 2 DIMMS instead of 3? Would I actually get better performance from a Core I5 dual channel because of this memory limitation?

Two things, first forget the SB laptops until April/May. As for the memory, laptops typically do not use the 3 channel memory and when you compare the performance difference between dual and tripple channel, it is 3-4% under the be conditions. The SB units will be better on battery life/performance so if you can wait that is what I would suggest. If you can't wait that long which is my problem right now, look at the existing core I7 or I5 and don't worry about the memory channel but rater the memory speed. Just be aware that a laptop with a gen one core I7 will have a discreet graphics card and suck down battery quickly when doing those hard tasks.