RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Andne

Ubiquiti UniFi Performance

oj88
3 hours ago, nrf said:

cool. in practice, do any of those IOT devices get routed to other VLANs by the L3 switch?

No. Access-lists on the L-3 switch prevents that. They only have access to the internet.

• Like 1

nrf

so I will assume that works for you. I will consider same once I get some unifi devices. mostly I block my IOT from the internet anyway but I'd like to get further isolation and I think this would do the trick!

oj88

My IoTs are cloud-managed... namely, Alexa, Google Home, Tuya/SmartHome, Broadlink, SonOff, etc.

Then there's also Rokus and smart TVs.... just off the top of my head. Practically anything requires internet access nowadays, whether you like it or not.

nrf
17 minutes ago, oj88 said:

Practically anything requires internet access nowadays

That's for sure. The two items I can't block from the internet, I'd like to isolate more. I for one don't want an open mic in my house, but for those wishing to control stuff by voice I think some of the things you show in your layout can help tighten things up. thanks for sharing it!

• Like 1

nrf

so I have managed to get my hands on a UAP-AC-LITE for the purposes of further isolating a handful of wifi based IOT devices. In setting up the additional VLANs I can see the benefits of buying into the whole ubiquiti infrastructure - vlans can be plumbed out without having to go to each switch etc. For a business this seems like a really good way to go - define network objects and poof they get put out thru your whole network. I'm assuming cisco has something similar but I am of limited means :)