RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Ubiquiti UniFi Performance

3 hours ago, nrf said:

cool. in practice, do any of those IOT devices get routed to other VLANs by the L3 switch?

No. Access-lists on the L-3 switch prevents that. They only have access to the internet.

• Like 1

so I will assume that works for you. I will consider same once I get some unifi devices. mostly I block my IOT from the internet anyway but I'd like to get further isolation and I think this would do the trick!

My IoTs are cloud-managed... namely, Alexa, Google Home, Tuya/SmartHome, Broadlink, SonOff, etc.

Then there's also Rokus and smart TVs.... just off the top of my head. Practically anything requires internet access nowadays, whether you like it or not.

17 minutes ago, oj88 said:

Practically anything requires internet access nowadays

That's for sure. The two items I can't block from the internet, I'd like to isolate more. I for one don't want an open mic in my house, but for those wishing to control stuff by voice I think some of the things you show in your layout can help tighten things up. thanks for sharing it!

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

so I have managed to get my hands on a UAP-AC-LITE for the purposes of further isolating a handful of wifi based IOT devices. In setting up the additional VLANs I can see the benefits of buying into the whole ubiquiti infrastructure - vlans can be plumbed out without having to go to each switch etc. For a business this seems like a really good way to go - define network objects and poof they get put out thru your whole network. I'm assuming cisco has something similar but I am of limited means :)

• 2 weeks later...
ShadowPeo

Its an industry trend and not just in network its SDX, in this case SDN or Software Defined Networking. And yes pretty much every vendor these days has it, but the most well known one would have to be the Meraki equipment. In reality nothing that can not have been achieved before but much easier and prettier. The other SD's have hand some serious work to get implemented.

Can you get the Meraki stuff without having to pay them an ongoing subscription fee yet?

My guy tried to sell me on it about 5/6 years ago but once you stopped paying it stopped working....

I'm about to send a begging email to Rajant to see if we can get some of their breadcrumb stuff to test for a project we have at work, that seems like it might be rather funky...

ShadowPeo

@Trig0r no idea mate, never used Meraki beyond the MDM side of it. The Aerohive products you can, but you loose the ability to centrally control them, beyond that I have not used any of the other gear, I really only deploy one of several solutions depending on budget and requirements

1: UniFi for home, Small Business

2: Cisco w/ Wireless LAN controllers etc for central management for the larger systems - mostly in education as it is heavily subsidised

3: Aerohive (Extreme Networks) if the Cisco is not suitable

4: Dell Switches where budget constraints prevent Cisco and there is Aerohive on site as the Dell stuff can connect to the HiveManager

5: HP Switching when using the Cisco WAPs and do not want to pay the Cisco pricing (although HP is not that much better if I am honest)

On 4/29/2020 at 5:32 PM, Andne said:

Cisco SG300

so would you recommend something like an sg350x for a similar solution given it has just received its last firmware upgrade? it does include 4 ports of 10gig for future 'growth'...

On 8/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, nrf said:

so would you recommend something like an sg350x for a similar solution given it has just received its last firmware upgrade? it does include 4 ports of 10gig for future 'growth'...

I've had good luck with my SG300 along with several at my church, no experience with the SG350 stuff though I was looking at it for some home upgrades (bigger switch, add a switch to the upstairs) a while back.  Ubuquiti has finally released firmware with Layer 3 support, so that's looking more temping again.  Haven't done anything with the network yet since things are functioning and I needed to get some other projects done instead.