RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Good Riddance DE and I welcome WHS2011

edamiga1

Microsoft killed instead of fixing it because WHS is a niche product and at some point you have to justify the investment. That justification was integrating it into WHS, SBS, & WSS. The latter 2 have much better sales. This wasn't a cultural decision it was economic. Would you be willing to pay for Microsoft's R&D costs to bring it to market? Would you pay $400 for the software with DE. To the comment about your friends being able to manage an expanding array. These are the same people who, for the most part, didn't buy this product in the first place. Why do we need to include these people? They aren't the target market, I'm pretty sure there isn't even a market for those people to begin with. Anti-DE? maybe. I don't really care either way. IMO the DE feature is a feature not the defining role of the product. Maybe it was for you, and that's fine. Please realize we all don't need to be rah rah for the cause. I've seen a lot of software come and go, some of it good a lot of it bad. While DE is a good idea it doesn't mean its financially viable. Object oriented file system is a good idea but it was dropped for the same reason no viable market.

Not disagreeing with you, but to answer would I pay for their R&D - NO. Would I pay $300 or $400+ for a properly working version with a solid DE implementation, you bet I would. It would be cheaper than a drobo or raid as long as the drives could expand. I would rather pay $300 or $400ish for WHS with solid DE than any amount for Raid or Drobo as long as they did not have a low drive limit on expansion. I always thought they undercharged for WHS in the 1st place especially given what their stated goal was.

I just finished downloading Amahi and about to put that on my test server, it just seems to be listening to what WHS promised to be (protect, connect, organize and grow). Although I am leary of grayhole the software seems to have a clear goal and direction, WHS seems to be all over the place, their marketing should change to "backup and ummmm" because web streaming simply won't happen for 99% of users because upload speeds even with a decent cable package are simply not enough most of the time *at least for video.

I don't want to keep beating a dead horse either, and it was not my intent to argue over it but to simply point out that other than the OS upgrade almost in every case people act happy that DE is removed that you did not have to use it in the 1st place. "They": "the people who own the right to do with it whatever they want for any reason ie: MS" have every right to do so and if others like that and wish to follow, then more power to them. If Ford decides next year to make the Explorer a 4 Cylinder I won't be buying that either, and those who want to... more power to them, same principle.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ImTheTypeOfGuy

• edamiga1

• talex

Without DE, what does WHS2011 offer over Aurora?

Hopefully not much as I expect Aurora to be a lot more expensive. Home user centric features such as media streaming will likely not be in the business product ala Windows 7 Home Premium vs. Professional.

Not particularly unhappy that DE is going away, but I would like to see Microsoft step up on the home user-friendly drive management. If I can take care of data-duplication through software RAID (mirrors) and use Library-like functionality to span my content shares across multiple drive letters, then I'm happy. Even toss in a "protected" indicator if my library is only spanned across mirrored volumes.

Without DE, what does WHS2011 offer over Aurora?

Nothing SBS Essentials 2011 is above WHS2011. I haven't found anything in WHS2011 that isn't in SBS2011 yet.

I am no expert here so this is really as much a question as it is an opinion. It seems that Microsoft is trying to make WHS 2011 a better media streaming system than v1 was. Do you think it could be possible that drive extender hurt performance when streaming HD content and they just couldn’t get it worked out so they decided to cut it out all together? I think if they (Microsoft) would just be honest with their customers and just come out and say why they dropped drive extender; the WHS community would be a lot more forgiving. Even if it is just a financial decision, I for one could live with that. They are in business to make money.

I think it is pretty clear at this point that their first stab at it didn't work right and the market is too small to make it worth dumping more money into, so they just cut out the feature.

I am no expert here so this is really as much a question as it is an opinion. It seems that Microsoft is trying to make WHS 2011 a better media streaming system than v1 was. Do you think it could be possible that drive extender hurt performance when streaming HD content and they just couldn’t get it worked out so they decided to cut it out all together? I think if they (Microsoft) would just be honest with their customers and just come out and say why they dropped drive extender; the WHS community would be a lot more forgiving. Even if it is just a financial decision, I for one could live with that. They are in business to make money.

I doubt streaming had anything to do with it. They have stated their implementation was off and clearly they ran into problems with it along the way, which I think is pretty clear that the direction the were taking DE caused issue's with the business products. I think the community is very forgiving anyways, I am sure even those that choose not to adopt v2 will probably stay active promoting v1 and watching what happens with v2, however there are many that simply do not want v2 at this point and I don't see these people opening their wallets just to save the product no matter what else changes. It would be great if v2 is a smashing success because it will be good for the users who like it and good for the company.

I still don't understand the 2tb backup limitation... sure I understand it's because they are based on .vhd files and those are limited to 2TB..

But whats the advantage to backing up your volumes with a .vhd?

Sounds to me like if you run this with a RAID array you're going to have to add some kind of software to back it up..

That didn't say that (at least not in any announcements I read) but it could be part of it. The main thing I saw was that it was causing corrupt files and they couldn't resolve the issue.