RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)
Rodf

Smart thermostats and evaporative coolers

Rodf

Whenever I go to my local Best Buy (OK, back when I used to be able to go into my local Best Buy) I'd see all of the smart thermostats, like the Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell, etc. I'm very tempted to get one, but for me the major question is, do any of them work with evaporative coolers? If they don't, then there's no point for me to consider them.

oj88

Can't pretend I know this stuff but maybe, check this out: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/84680/controlling-110v-swamp-cooler-using-nest-thermostat

HVACs can actively heat or cool your home or room, which is what these thermostats are designed to control. Evaportative cooling depends so much on the ambient air for its effectiveness. It is mostly effective if you have hot, dry air and does not work quite as effectively if the ambient air is already humid.

Rodf

Write that post you linked to is quite extensive. I'm going to have to read it again too sweet if I understand it. You are correct that the ambiant humidity plays a huge role. I like in NM. It is very dry here.

Thank you, I've got to get back to it when I have more time

Rodf

I've re-read the link you sent me to, oj88. I've got to admit that I'm lost. My knowledge of electricity is extremely basic, as in I know about positive and negative. I understand the concept of resistance, but beyond that, I'm out of my depth.

Thank you for providing the link. I believe it addresses what I've asked for. I only wish I could comprehend/implement it.

oj88

You're very welcome. Sorry it couldn't be anymore easier than that.

However, there are smart thermostats (sort of) available online that will work with evaporative coolers. There are three such models listed here: https://www.protectamerica.com/home-security-blog/tech-tips/using-a-smart-thermostat-to-control-a-swamp-cooler-three-options_21415. Though, not sure if these can be integrated with digital assistants such as Alexa or Google Assistant (if you're into that).

Alternatively, if you have the type of evaporative cooler that has a mechanical switch, just leave it on and use a smart plug (of appropriate voltage, current, and wattage rating) so you can:

1. Control the cooler remotely through an app on your phone

2. Set timers/schedules when to turn on/off the cooler

3. Integrate with your digital assistant of choice for voice control and/or running routines to afford you some automation

This only allows you to turn on and off the cooler and nothing much else. Anyway, these are just broad strokes on how to approach the problem.

Good luck!

• Like 1

Rodf

A smart plug is an attractive idea but am not sure how I'd do it. Currently there's a wall controller which handles controlling the water pump and the fan for the evaporative cooler. That's it. Built right into the wall; it's a part of the wiring of my 30+ year old house. I've no idea where I could put a smart plug into this mix.

I'll look at those three smart thermostats you linked to.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Big Tree
      By Big Tree
      Hey all,

I'm putting together a plan to outfit my home as a smart home.  I want to do this for a couple of reasons.  First of all, I am an electrician and I'd like to make smart technology more a part of my business, as no one in my community does it.  Second, I love smart technology and I want it!  I'm looking for suggestions and tips as to what is going to be the best to not only outfit my home with, but is good to sell in a lower income market (nothing like crestron or control 4). 

I think the essential things to put in to make a home smart would be heating control, lighting control, door control, as well as some control to bring them all together.  Here are my current thoughts, and I'd love to hear what any of you think about these things.

Lighting - Lutron Caseta - I'm a RadioRa2 installer, but I don't have the money to put that into my house, so the next best thing for me is Caseta.  I already have Caseta switches in my home and I love them.  I sell them quite often already and I think Lutron is fantastic.

Heating - Ecobee - I like ecobee in theory because they aren't nest.  Even though I'm a Nest Pro, I just have always liked the look and sound of Ecobee.  Am I completely off my rocker for thinking that?

Door Control - August Lock with Ring Doorbell - Seems like these are the best things out there right now, but this is a category that I know very little about.

Central Control - I use Apple right now, so HomeKit seems to make sense, but I think I'd like to use voice control and so the Echo seems like a good product for that.  Would a Google Home be better?  Again, don't have much knowledge of this section yet.

Finally, I currently have an old Apple router, one of the old airport extremes, and I don't know if I should be thinking of upgrading my router in this process.

Thanks for reading my post, thanks for any input you give.
    • TimothyWMurray
      By TimothyWMurray
      I added 2 Trane TZ400BB3VZNNSL - Z-Wave Thermostats to my Staples Connect.

They were easy to add.  These thermostats have no way to program them except through a zwave control.  They have manual buttons, but no scheduling.  That is fine because I have my Staples Connect and always intended to use it to schedule them.

I had two surprises when doing this, maybe someone has a helpful tip.

Staples Connect has activities.  When setting these up you must choose scheduled or manual.   Both of my surprises come from the interaction of scheduled and manual activities.

1) I set up a several scheduled activities with names like "wife working from home", "kids home from school", and "sleep time temperature"  And each of these triggers at a set time on a set group of days of the week.  I gave them names like this because I sort of expected that these same activities could also be triggered manually.  Turns out they can not.  I had to create essentially the same activities but in the manual activities section.  A little extra set up, but this gets the job done.

​2) I then set up a manual activity called "vacation temperature" in the manual activities.  But if I run this activity, it will only run until the next scheduled activity kicks in.  I don't think I can put the regular schedule into suspend mode.

I guess am mentally modeling an activity (temperature settings) as a separate level of abstraction from the trigger (manual or scheduled).  This led me to assume a bunch of possibilities that just are not there in the Staples Connect.  

Any help is appreciated.  Would I be able to do what I'm trying to do if I had a different hub?

By the way I bought the thermostats from http://www.zwaveproducts.com/ and the have great customer service.

• Dave
      By Dave
      Just found a new visitor to the forum and this KickStarter.  Very interesting as I have multiple AC Units and 3 zones.  Some of my zones work better than others due to some funky duct and return air decisions.  I wonder how this Embue system would work or help me out?

on KickStarter here: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1606462593/rest-easy-weve-got-your-hvac-covered