RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

Smart thermostats and evaporative coolers

Rodf

Whenever I go to my local Best Buy (OK, back when I used to be able to go into my local Best Buy) I'd see all of the smart thermostats, like the Nest, Ecobee, Honeywell, etc. I'm very tempted to get one, but for me the major question is, do any of them work with evaporative coolers? If they don't, then there's no point for me to consider them.

Can't pretend I know this stuff but maybe, check this out: https://diy.stackexchange.com/questions/84680/controlling-110v-swamp-cooler-using-nest-thermostat

HVACs can actively heat or cool your home or room, which is what these thermostats are designed to control. Evaportative cooling depends so much on the ambient air for its effectiveness. It is mostly effective if you have hot, dry air and does not work quite as effectively if the ambient air is already humid.

Write that post you linked to is quite extensive. I'm going to have to read it again too sweet if I understand it. You are correct that the ambiant humidity plays a huge role. I like in NM. It is very dry here.

Thank you, I've got to get back to it when I have more time

I've re-read the link you sent me to, oj88. I've got to admit that I'm lost. My knowledge of electricity is extremely basic, as in I know about positive and negative. I understand the concept of resistance, but beyond that, I'm out of my depth.

Thank you for providing the link. I believe it addresses what I've asked for. I only wish I could comprehend/implement it.

You're very welcome. Sorry it couldn't be anymore easier than that.

However, there are smart thermostats (sort of) available online that will work with evaporative coolers. There are three such models listed here: https://www.protectamerica.com/home-security-blog/tech-tips/using-a-smart-thermostat-to-control-a-swamp-cooler-three-options_21415. Though, not sure if these can be integrated with digital assistants such as Alexa or Google Assistant (if you're into that).

Alternatively, if you have the type of evaporative cooler that has a mechanical switch, just leave it on and use a smart plug (of appropriate voltage, current, and wattage rating) so you can:

1. Control the cooler remotely through an app on your phone

2. Set timers/schedules when to turn on/off the cooler

3. Integrate with your digital assistant of choice for voice control and/or running routines to afford you some automation

This only allows you to turn on and off the cooler and nothing much else. Anyway, these are just broad strokes on how to approach the problem.

Good luck!

• Like 1

A smart plug is an attractive idea but am not sure how I'd do it. Currently there's a wall controller which handles controlling the water pump and the fan for the evaporative cooler. That's it. Built right into the wall; it's a part of the wiring of my 30+ year old house. I've no idea where I could put a smart plug into this mix.

I'll look at those three smart thermostats you linked to.