RESET Forums (homeservershow.com)

New setup

janobi

I've got a HP Microserver, believe it's a Gen 7.

I've read through threads, and just got bogged down.

I want to run plex or something similar on the server, i'm happy with any OS, although i'd quite like to opt for linux (Although i'm not massively good with linux, I have some decent linux skills).  I do know commands and such, and am pretty good at googling stuff as and when required.

https://www.fosslinux.com/6406/how-to-install-ubuntu-server-18-04-lts.htm

Above is the guide I will be following to install ubuntu

https://linuxize.com/post/how-to-install-plex-media-server-on-ubuntu-18-04/

Above is the guide i'll be following to install plex

Is there anything else I should be aware of, or are there easier ways to achieve what I want?

I want to upgrade the ram, but i've been through the list of compatible ram, I don't seem to be able to get 16Gb at all.  Im in the UK if that makes a difference.

I've got 2x 2TB HDDs coming for storage, do I need a 3rd drive for the OS, or can I just use all the storage I have for OS and plex?

I've seen stuff about upgrading the BIOS, is this required?  I dont have ram above 8gb at present, so I dont believe it will be required, but im happy to listen to those with experience.

Any help will be greatly appreciated, even if it's just linking.

Thanks

Edited by janobi
Added stuff

What CPU does it have, from there you'll know if its Gen7, and which model.

I had an N40L G7, that ran Windows 10 from an SSD and then had a few spinners for Data and ran Plex on that.

1 hour ago, Trig0r said:

What CPU does it have, from there you'll know if its Gen7, and which model.

I had an N40L G7, that ran Windows 10 from an SSD and then had a few spinners for Data and ran Plex on that.

Not sure, I bought it 2nd hand a long time ago, i'd have to take the mobo out to check the CPU.  I'll do that tomorrow.

18 hours ago, janobi said:

Not sure, I bought it 2nd hand a long time ago, i'd have to take the mobo out to check the CPU.  I'll do that tomorrow.

No need, as per above, it'll tell you when you power it on.

The HDD's are turning up today, so i'll be in a better position to start the project.

I'll power on with the HDDs attached, and post the additional information requested.